Prologue

They were designed for one purpose, and one purpose only -- to be a part of the never ending battle. And so, they fulfilled their purpose. They fought war after war. No matter what the humans did, in the end, they realized they could do nothing...but watch...

One fateful day, a group of humans and Reploids were running away from a vicious group of attackers. All Reploids who worked for humans were called Mavericks, while humans were simply called traitors of their kind.

The group of humans and Reploids happened to come across one especially well-known Reploid...the one named Zero. They found him in the midst of ruin, caught in a state of hibernation. With the attacking forces advancing on their position, there was no time to come up with another plan. Zero was reactivated by a scientist's "cyber-elf" named Passy.

That scientist is Miss Ciel.

Zero helped strengthen a resistance against the so-called human utopia known as "Neo Arcadia." He saved many innocent human and Reploid lives, many of whom still called him a Maverick. After a fierce fight with Copy X, he was stranded in the desert for a year...

During his disappearance, a new Resistance was born under their new leader, Elpizo. Ciel had been researching a powerful cyber-elf humans called the "Dark Elf." Elpizo was delighted and interested in Ciel's work, but once Zero came to the new Resistance, he wondered why Elpizo was spending that much time on Dark Elf research...before Elpizo turned on them, blinded by the power of the Dark Elf.

After a fierce fight with Elpizo, the Dark Elf had gone missing. Ciel, in the meanwhile, began researching solutions to the world's energy problem, dubbing her project, "The Ciel System." It showed great promise, and it seemed as though the war between humans and Reploids would finally come to an end. Unfortunately, this was too good to be true. And before Ciel could finally bring her system to Neo arcadia, a spaceship fell down tp Earth a few months later...

Upon investigating, Ciel and the Resistance Base quickly learned that 2 banned Neo Arcadians, Omega and Dr. Weil, were bent on tapping into the Dark Elf's power. Zero was able to track down and temporarily stop Omega and Dr. Weil, before he called for revenge and demanded all humans stayed at Neo Arcadia. His main plan was to crash the satellite "Ragnarok" into a human settlement named "Area Zero."

In a great battle, Zero was able to stop Ragnarok and subdue Dr. Weil, finally bringing an end to the war, but at a cost. Many assumed that Zero had sacrificed himself in stopping Ragnarok from hitting the human settlement, but there was still a part of the Resistance that believed otherwise. Even Ciel was beginning to think that Zero was gone from this world, yet a part of her still had hope. Shortly after the ship crashed, she went out with a team to examine the remnants, all with the same question in mind:

Where is Zero?

________________________________________________________________

6 Months later...

"Miss Ciel!" The rookie Resistance Soldier named Vinn had called on Ciel. Their mission was to check out the ruins of Ragnarok so that Ciel could research it. Ciel went over to Vinn, who handed her a charred piece of a satellite, burned from both the explosion of Ragnarok and it re-entering the atmosphere. 

"Nice find, Vinn!" Ciel exclaimed. "I may have a use for this thing... somehow..." 

Cervaeu overheard her. "That thing is burnt beyond repair. Even with my engineering skills..." he shook his head. "No. I'd be surprised if it even does have any use."

The overcast of clouds signaled rain was coming. Thunder struck down a nearby area. "Ciel!" Ciel turned around to see Aloutte running towards her. "I think I found him! I think I found him!" She exclaimed, barely holding on to her teddy bear which she carried on her at all times. She ran back to where she came from and Ciel pursued her. 

"Aloutte, wait!" She exclaimed. She nearly tripped over a piece of Ragnarok. 

Aloutte stopped and pointed at a cracked red thing. "I think it's him!" She repeated. "Pull it out!" Ciel complied. She pulled it quite easily. The cracked thing was a helmet. It had a blue light in the center, faintly glowing between the cracks. Ciel gasped, and Cervaeu and Vinn noticed her holding it. 

"What is that?" Cervaeu advanced towards Ciel. 

"Z-Zero..." she said in a slight voice. This helmet was on Zero. It wasn't a bent piece of Ragnarok. Thunder struck again. 

"Come on," Ciel declared. "Lets head back to the caravan." As they walked back, Vinn's mind was a whirl. Zero? Did she say... Zero?! He thought to himself. I always wanted to meet him!

As the thunder struck, Ciel was examining the helmet closely. It was extremely cracked, meaning that if Zero was out there, his head would probably have exposed wiring. Ciel noticed a memory chip embedded inside the helmet itself. She began to pry it out, with no success. She kept trying, but after a moment, she began feeling woozy, falling to her knees mere moments after. Before she blacked out, she saw the helmet's memory chip on the floor, and she wondered how it got there.

________________________________________________________________

Hope ya like the beginning! This is a fan novel, so lemme know whatcha think!

(03/17/2024 edit: I fixed up some grammar and writing, I think I might actually come back to this as my official "sendoff" from Wattpad. Thank you guys for following! Stay tuned!)