Chapter 1: Wands & Wizards

Proudly, I opened the envelope, and there it was, my Hogwarts Acceptance letter. I grinned, this year was gonna be so cool!

Hi, my name is Harmony Chord and I am mute. I can't speak. I can't even laugh. This suffocating silence has hung over me almost all my life and how ever hard everyone tries, I can't utter a sound. I've spent weeks in St Mungos with people trying to cure me. Always in vain of course. In the end they just gave up, realised there was no use and sent me back to the Weasleys. Yep, that's right, I live with the Weasleys, and have done ever since I can remember. My parents were killed by Voldemort's supporters and I was left in the wreckage for three days until Arthur spotted me. He is now my guardian and I live with him and his family in The Burrow.

I jumped up and hugged Mrs Weasley who was smiling broadly and turned to Ron who was also going this year. He let out a scream of excitement and danced around the room. I rolled my eyes and hi-fived Fred and George, the twins who were going into 3rd year.

We set off for diagon alley as soon as was possible. As we stumbled out of the fireplace at the Leaky Cauldron, Ron fell flat on his face, I shook with silent mirth at the expression on his squashed mug. I helped Ginny up off where she was sitting (on Ron's face) and skipped towards Gringotts, the wizarding bank.

When we arrived, I scanned the long rows of desks until I spotted my favourite goblin, I smiled and waved to Eccinious who beckoned me over. I ran to Eccinious, who was already out of his seat, walking towards the door at the end, with the Weasleys and I following behind. We passed through the oak door and stepped into the cart.

First, we stopped at my vault, i have a special vault that is so precious that not even the Gringott dragon is allowed to guard. Only a member of my family that has been given special permission can open it, combine that with the fact that It is in the middle of a very deep crevice and is protected by numerous enchantments as old as Gringotts itself and it becomes one of the most secure places in the world.I was left a very, very large sum of money from my parents that, and I make full use of it. I have a corner set aside every year with a huge pile of galleons stacked in it. I asked Eccinious to cast a spell to make sure that the Weasleys take it every year. They need it far more than i do. I grabbed a pouch and thrust it towards Molly who, after hesitation, took it and loaded it with money. I quickly grabbed some gold and we made our way to the Weasley's vault. It didn't look quite so bare as when I first saw it and I patted myself on the back at my achievement. After we emerged back into the blinding sun, Percy, who was looking very smug at himself, wandered off with his prefect badge pinned smartly on to his chest.

Entering Madam Malkins, I stood on the stool and indicated that I would like specially tailored robes to fit my slender frame. Madam Malkins smile grew as she imagined me in my uniform (and, most likely, my money bag). Bustling around me, she chatted continuously, not minding the fact that I couldn't answer.

When I left, I knew all the weeks gossip, and more. I headed towards a shop filled with parchment and quills and bought supplies, I then turned towards the Apothecary and replenished my potion kit. I have a knack for making potions, that's how Fred and George succeed in their pranks. I already own an acceptable cauldron so I skipped to Flourish & Blotts where I found the Weasleys. I bought the books and we all headed towards Eeylops Owl Emporium. I entered with a skip in my step and stared at the magnificent sight before me. A beautiful Phoenix stood before me on a gilded perch. He immediately took a liking to me and sat on my shoulder as if he was made to be there. I signed to Fred to ask how much he was, not even noticing the other animals that were around me. The shopkeeper looked on in amazement and took a while to realize that Fred had asked him my question. "50 galleons", he stuttered, "This Phoenix has been ignoring or biting at everyone who wants to buy him, but he loves you. His name is Hḗphaistos." I handed him a pouch of gold and headed out of the shop. Now for my wand. I left the Weasleys in the shop and walked into Ollivanders. He took one look at Hḗp and began scrambling through his book shelves, he knew exactly what I needed without even measuring me. Finally he stopped and I stared at him expectantly. " This Phoenix's grandfather gave me this feather decades ago." He announced " 10 and 3/4 inches, two woods, one wood from a gaint elf tree, the last one left, it took me ages to persuade it to give me a strip, and the other is from an Arhada tree. My best wand yet." He handed me a velvet box in which there was the most beautiful wand I've ever seen. I lifted it it up and three golden birds flew out of the tip, I did my happy dance. I payed for my wand and left still admiring my new stuff.

The Weasleys were all waiting outside and as we walked up towards the Leaky Cauldren, people were staring at Hḗp and I made a mental note to ask Molly to help make me a cover for his huge golden cage. I didn't like caging animals and immediately opened the door of Hḗp's cage when we arrived back at the Weasleys. When Aurthur came in, he stared at Hḗp in wander and my heart filled with pride. Until Percy popped up with his new screech owl, Hermes. Mr Weasleys attention was immediately focused on the newly appointed prefect. Molly was fussing over Ron and the twins so Ginny and I dragged our new stuff to our room.

Our room is long and thin, unsurprising considering the proportions of the Burrow, we had painted it white with blue splatters a few years before. At one end of the wall, an oak bunk bed occupied the space. We had a long work-bench attached to the wall which is very useful. underneath half of the bench there are cabinets that we keep our stuff in. There was an empty space next to the door. Perfect for Hḗphaistos's cage

I signed to Ginny that we should re-paint our room because blue and white did not go well with our wooden furniture. She agreed, so we covered everything with old cloths and got out the paint.

Half way through, we started a paint fight just when Fred was passing our door. In the end, it was so lucky that Mr Weasley was checking on the noise or we would never have been able to clean up.

When we finished, I was rather proud of myself. The walls were now black with realistic flame patterns around the room. We uncovered the furniture and I moved Hḗp's cage in and we stood back to admire our handy-work. Everyone else looked in and congratulated us. Even Percy liked it and ran his hands over the flames as if soaking in every detail.

We headed down for a celebratory tea and went to sleep satisfied.

The next few days consisted of Ginny and I sneaking of with the twins brooms to practice flying and quidditch or we worked on the cover for Hḗp's cage, we also filled phials with useful pranking potions and packed them carefully in my trunk.