“Why what?” I whispered.

“Why did you come into my life right now, when everything is falling apart?”

He finally pulled away. His hazel eyes were on me, and he looked serious. I didn’t know what to say so I stayed quiet.

“Bye, Savannah,” he said, nodded once, and then walked away.

Every time he left, I felt like it was the last time I was going to see him. He was grinning and smiling most of the time, and then when he was saying goodbye, he’d get serious and say something that confused me.

I walked straight to Kat’s room. I knew she was still awake. She had music on, the door to her room was open, and her lamp was on.

“Hey,” I said, walking in and dumping my bag over one of the bean bags on her floor. I lied down over her bed, where she was sitting with her laptop on her lap.

“It’s late,” Kat said, pointing at the clock on her nightstand.

“I was talking with Liam and lost track of time,” I shrugged, trying to act casual about it.

“Well, what happened? You were at his place for a long time.”

“Nothing happened, we just hung out.”

“Who was that guy—the one who dropped off my car?”

“That’s Adam, he’s Liam’s friend,” I said.

“And…?”

“And what?”

“Why did he drop off my car? Why didn’t you tell me you were going to chase after Liam?”

“I wasn’t,” I said, defensively, feeling a blush creeping onto my face.

I grabbed a pillow and covered my face because I knew that Kat was going to keep bugging me. I knew it was what she was going to do, that’s why I had walked straight to her. I needed normal, and I needed girl talk. I felt like I needed to talk to someone about Liam.

But the most important thing about Liam that I wanted to discuss—I couldn’t share with Kat. Now that Liam wasn’t there, it was crazy to imagine that he had shifted into a Wolf. I felt insane thinking back to the conversations Liam and I had that night about Werewolves. But it was real.

“Did something happen?” Kat asked, putting her laptop to the side and shifting herself to face me. “Sav, come on, you have to share. What happened?”

“I like him,” I told her.

“I know, but what happened?”

“Nothing happened. He didn’t even kiss me or anything. I think he’s… I don’t know. I just, I really like him.”

Sav,” Kat said, outstretching her arms for me to go to her.

She felt bad for me. I could see it in her eyes. She thought that Liam didn’t like m back and that was what was hurting me. I didn’t know exactly how Liam felt. He had said he liked me. That should have been more than enough. I had just met him. But knowing what he was, it made him somehow more unattainable in my eyes.

“We should watch a movie—something bloody and gory or something funny and stupid. What do you want to watch?”

“Scary,” I replied.

Kat set everything up, grabbed a bag of chips—some that Liam had bought, which felt strange—and we snuggled up in Kat’s bed.

I distracted myself watching the movie, but my thoughts kept going back to Liam. There was so many things to think about—first and foremost, he was a freaken Werewolf.