Chapter 3

Chapter three.

I awoke in Lillith’s bedroom. I breathed in the familiar sent of her house. Have you ever noticed how different places or houses have different smells? I know. It’s weird, but hey, weird’s my middle name! I opened my eyes and – WOW! Wow with a capital W! Everything was so vivid. The colours were so bright and I could see the textures of everything, the walls, and the bed I was laying on, literally everything. I sat up. Whoa. A little too quickly, obviously. My head spun and I took in more of the room. I felt charged of energy, and hungry.

“Oh good, you’re awake.” Abi came into the room. A bowl of soup in one hand and a glass of orange juice in the other.

“Feeling better?” Asked Lillith as she came in behind her.

I looked at Lillith and Abi, feeling as though I’d only just met them. For some reason a grin spread across my face.

“Yeah I’m feeling great! Like I could take on anything!”

They just looked at each other.

“Mia, you’ve been out for 3 days. Today is Sunday.” Said Lillith slowly, as if talking to someone mentally incapable. 3 days! Shit!

Abi set the soup onto the bedside table next to me, and handed me to orange juice. I took a sip and spat it right out. God, it tasted disgusting! Like sour, warm milk, that been sat outside in the sun all day.

“What’s wrong?” asked Abi, eyeing me wearily.

“It tastes awful!” I said.

Abi was saying something, but I wasn’t listening. My now sensitive nose had caught the scent of something wonderful smelling. I sat up straight. It smelt like the best thing in the world. Better than chocolate, pizza, gum. My mouth started to water at the thought having whatever it was in my mouth.

I got off of the bed and moved towards the window.

“Amelia, what are you doing” asked Lillith.

I didn’t pay any attention to her. I climbed out of the window without realising, and started to sprint. Sprint hard and fast, I felt like nothing could stop me. I followed the scent, which was getting stronger and stronger by the second. I ended up in an abandoned cemetery, a clutter of graves here and there. I slowed my sprint to a walk. I didn’t even feel out of breath, considering I must have been running for at least 5 miles. I walked through the graveyard, until I saw it. My heart stopped beating as I saw what lay on the ground. The thing I had been tracking. A body. And it never looked more delicious to me.

* * *

Lillith and Abi looked at each other. What on earth was wrong with Amelia?

“Erm… I don’t know if I'm imagining things, but did Amelia just jump out of your window?” asked Abi, nervously.

“I think she just did,” replied Lilith, who couldn’t believe her eyes. “I think we should follow her?” It came out as a question.

“Yes, I think we’d better, let’s take my car.” Said Abi, still staring at the window. There was a couple of seconds where the two girls just stared, and then they whipped into action. Abi grabbed her bag and ran out of the house, Lillith following, shutting the door behind her. They drove out of town, for about five miles, taking the main road.

“Look! Over there!” Lillith suddenly shouted, pointing out of the window. “I just saw her run past some trees. God, she was running fast! You may want to step on it.”

Abi slammed her foot down on the gas pedal, and they shot forward. They arrived at the little abandoned graveyard, just outside their little town called Campton. The girls got out of the car and tour across the graveyard, where they found a body hunched over something. It was Amelia, and she was hunched over a body. Lillith screamed, and Amelia whipped her head around, to growl at them. Abi paled as she looked at the crimson liquid smeared across Amelia’s face.