Or maybe my poem was just that good.

"Second Prince does not need to thank this miss. Xie Lien was only humored by her majesty as it was my first banquet." It really was nothing so please stop mentioning it.

"How can it be humoring? Imperial Grandmother gave you her treasured hairpin. Second Miss must have left a good impression."

...You just don't quit do you?

At this point, it can't be dismissed as humoring anymore. Seeing my plight Gege smiled kindly and said; "Your majesty my little sister is very shy please don't tease her too much."

"Oh? So Xie Long is here as well." This time the Fifth Prince joined us. Just looking at his playful smile could make a person feel comfortable.

Gege bowed. "Xie Long greets Fifth Prince."

Jun Qi Kang laughed and waved his hand. "Xie Long we've met so many times yet you're still so formal."

Is he trying to stake his claim and show Xie Long is on his side? It's not unexpected. As our family's only heir the person Xie Long chooses to support is the one our entire Xie clan will be embroiled to support.

"It's only natural, how could this lowly Gongzhi act easily before his majesty?" Gege said with that faint smile.

Jun Qi Kang shrugged. "Benwang will one day make you change your tune." Then his eyes found me. "Second Miss allow Benwang to express his thanks as well. Imperial Grandmother was truly touched by your poem."

Again with the poem! "If her majesty was pleased then Xie Lien has already received enough thanks to last a lifetime."

"Second Miss is truly kindhearted. It's refreshing to see such goodwill towards Imperial Grandmother." His voice was low and rich, a little rough but I found it sex—ahem! endearing.

While the other princes were certainly not feminine in any way, they still fell short in comparison to his masculinity. Wheat brown skin and slightly messy black hair fell freely over a wide chest and broad shoulders. His features were sharper and more rugged than his brothers, almost to the point of being intimidating. But what I loved most were those bright golden eyes.

They were certainly scary. The light in them was like that of a starving beast with madness in its veins. But it was also very solemn, holding thoughts I could never comprehend. Unknowingly my lips parted and I whispered; "Beautiful."

~~*~~

The Crown Prince watched from the corner of his eye, never missing a beat when replying to his supporters. His words were even and wise, teetering between telling the people what they want to hear while retaining information.

He smiled, a bit of ridicule hidden in his eyes. To think he'd almost marked this Second Brother as an innocent born in a guilty home. What a near fatal mistake on his part.

Jun Qi Chen's eyes found Xie Lien, his heart unconsciously fluttering. She truly is beautiful, her voice soft and lilting with nary a trace of the flirtation he was used to hearing from women. Jun Qi Kang clearly liked her, and this annoyed Jun Qi Chen.

He, the first and Crown Prince, was always challenged by this obstinate Fifth Brother of his, and even his Second Brother dared to deceive him. He had planned to only cripple the latter when he ascended to the throne, but that thought was gone.

As the Empress' son he should be entitled to all good things, but his brothers would not understand this. The second thought him a fool, the third would not pledge his loyalty, and the fifth openly challenged him.