vii | way too long

Start from the beginning

She gave up, looking out to see that the bodega was on fire. Salene didn't hesitate to fly out of the wreckage of the bank and into the smoldering sandwich shop. Her hearing was tuned into the three sets of heartbeats in the building, all fast-paced and all deafeningly loud. She was easily able to find Peter and Mr. Delmar, helping the boy carry the man and his cat out of the burning building.

Salene held up Murph, pressing her ear against his ribs where his lungs were breathing in fully and exhaling just as well.

The man and his cat were going to be okay.

Salene jogged back to the wreckage of the bank and sighed in defeat where the group of robbers disappeared.

"You uh, did great in there," Peter's voice spoke up next to her and she turned her head to look at him. He still had his mask on. She only nodded before looking back at the bank once more and taking off.

────── ψ──────

SALENE WAS STILL shaking when she climbed back into her bedroom through her window, quickly shaking off her suit and pulling off her goggles and mask. She looked into her mirror and frowned at the bruise forming on her left temple. That's where the butt of a gun had managed to smack her.

Salene hadn't found the chance to go to the drugstore down the street and get more concealer, so she quickly pulled her hair down and brushed it out, leaving the strands to cover the bruise as best as she could without it violating health codes. Salene quickly dressed in her waitress uniform, heading down to the restaurant where they seemed to have been coming down from a rush hour.

"Hey!" A familiar voice called out, it almost sent Salene stumbling down the rest of the stairs as she looked around to find the owner of the voice, "miss us?"

Salene locked her eyes onto the two boys and the girl at the front doors, Adrian Jr., Dina, and Alessandro all stood there, smiles on their faces. She couldn't hold back the squeal from escaping her throat as she ran down to tackle all three into a hug.

"Oh my god!" She yelped, hugging them all individually, seeming to have lingered onto a Dina just a second more. Having three brothers and just one other sister, the two seldom fought, which is something that Salene was grateful for, she always heard about other girls and some guys complaining about their sisters all the time and she's happy that she and her sister will always be there for each other.

"Salene! If you're going to work, your hair is going to be up!" She heard her father from the kitchen, "Boys! Dina, get to work!" Salene and the three siblings all looked to each other before snickering amongst themselves and gave Salene another round of hugs before they went up to change.

Salene pulled her hair up back into a bun that she would use for her fighting: a sloppy mess held together by her hair-tie. She pulled on an apron, shoving a notepad and pen into her pockets and a handful of straws. Salene was ready for the diner to be closed in three hours. They normally closed late when it was later in the week, knowing that many people would come out at night on their paydays.

She didn't pay much attention to the bell that rang when the door opened, only giving out the same greeting that she has memorized. Salene only noticed that the new customers sat in her row, prompting her to head over to the table as they sat down.

"Welcome to the Kalimeris cuts, I'm Salene and I'll be your waitress for the night," Salene introduced as she pulled out her notepad and pen, flipping it open to a new page, and finally looked up, her breath hitching in her throat as she made eye contact with Peter Parker and his aunt, "Uh, can I get your drinks?"