YOU CAN SAY NO

ENJOLRAS

20. it's three in the morning... 

━━━ 𝐈𝐦𝐚𝐠𝐢𝐧𝐞 , you can say no.

You had never been one to say no to people. Sometimes you didn't know whether that was something you liked or disliked about yourself. You liked to make people happy; and apparently saying yes to thing was the way to do that.

That was how you ended up helping Courfeyrac move a bookcase up three flights of stairs last month when everyone else bailed on him. It was also how you ended up spending the night in IKEA with a very drunk Bahorel and Grantaire - an incident that would never been spoken about again.

And it was also how you ended up where you were now; in Enjolras' car, speeding down the deserted highway in the middle of the night.

The glowing images on the screen of the TV lit up your sitting room, but with your head so wrapt in your text book, you paid little attention to Jimmy Fallon and whichever celebrity guest was sitting on his sofa.

You clicked your pen rhythmically, as your eyes narrowed scanning over the sentence you'd been trying to read for the last three minutes.

Sparing a glance at your watch, you let out a low groan; 3:04am.

You knew for a fact that no matter how much you willed it, there was no way your brain would be absorbing the information at this hour. Groaning again, you scrambled for the remote control and lazily pointed it at the TV, emitting a sigh of relief as the bright colours of the screen died out and left you in a relaxing pool of darkness.

Within a matter of seconds you were on your feet, your text book laying open on the coffee table and your tired feet dragging your body in the direction of your bedroom.

However, your plans were quickly foiled as when you were only a metre or so away from your door, an impatient knock sounded from the door to your apartment.

You paused for a second not entirely sure whether your tired brain was messing with you. You hesitated, leaning on the door frame, waiting to see if the knock would sound again.

Much to your displeasure, a few seconds later, the knock - just as impatient as its predecessor - sounded again. Discontent laced your sigh as you let it out, dragging your feet to the door; your slow brain began wondering who in the world would be knocking on your door at three in the morning.

Unlocking the door in one smooth move, you came face to face with the source of the knocking.

Enjolras.