"Nonsense, I'll drive you."

"Is, I appreciate the gesture, but I live on the other side of town."

"Oh come on, if I'm driving all the way across town, it'll be for you."

Kalama smiled, "I love you, Is." She reached over and hugged her.

"I love you too, K." Isla said softly, blushing.

Kalama pulled away, unaware of how hot Isla's body had become.

Isla fancied Kalama since they'd met in middle school. In the eighth grade, her admiration for Kalama's boldness quickly turned into a small crush. In sophomore year, her small crush then turned into a huge one, and now, a senior in high school,  Isla is head over heels for a most likely straight girl. Bummer. Isla had never seen Kalama with anyone so there was nothing to base assumptions from.

"So," Kalama said after a while, blowing smoke from her nose. "What are you doing here at this unholy hour?"

Isla chuckled and shrugged, "I just felt like it."

Kalama flicked her cigarette away and turned fully toward Isla.

"Damn... you like swimming so much that you'll do it  at 2 A.M. when the water's cold as shit."

Isla chuckled again, "And may I ask what you're doing here at this unholy hour?"

Kalama smiled and lit another cigarette, "Well, Cam's from outta town, and I wanted to take him clubbing, but he's not about that. So I took him to this little thing at a friend's house, but it ended kinda early. So, we wound up here."

"Well, the night is still young isn't it? I've gotta couple hours to spare. Let's go."

Kalama raised an eyebrow. "Go where?"

"Clubbing. Duh."

Kalama flicked her cigarette away and grinned. "Let's go then."

*

Kalama led Isla excitedly through the cramped, sweaty nightclub. Isla bumped into people left and right, earning dirty looks every now and then. She offered everyone an apologetic look.

When Kalama finally slowed down, they ended up by the bar.

"Bobby! I've got fresh meat for you!" She shouted, leaving over the bar, staring intently at the staff door.

A tall, buff man with a full beard came out right after, smiling immediately after seeing Kalama.

"Kalama, it's been too long. You decide to be a good kid all of a sudden?" Bobby teased, nudging her with an elbow.

"Can it, Bobby. You know I couldn't be a good kid even if I tried."

Bobby chuckled, "I guess that's true. Now, I see an unfamiliar face. Who's this?" Bobby said, turning toward Isla.

"This is Isla, my... friend I was talking about."

Bobby's eyes widened in silent understanding. Kalama came here, not only to get drunk and dance messily with all the cuties in the room, but to talk to Bobby. It's not normal for a high schooler to talk to a 25 year old bar tender about her private life. But Bobby was Kalama's... mentor of sorts. He was the only one who knew about her feelings for Isla. He was the only one who knew Kalama was into girls period. Kalama never liked guys in the first place. But no one knows that. Except for Bobby, anyway.

"So, this is the famous Isla you've been talking about. Pleased to meet you."

Isla shook Bobby's hand with a smile.