I opened the door to the stable and both horses immediately moved towards me, neighing. This is not going to be easy. I figured it'd be best to start with Vukan for he was bigger so I tied Helios' reigns to a post and made Vukan lay on the ground; I covered both their eyes tearing two pieces from my shirt and then took out a gun. Bellamy had left it behind in the room over the entrance to the Tower; I thanked the gods he forgot it or else I wasn't sure how I was going to pull this one off.

- "Alright, there, boy." –I sat next to Vukan, his head on my legs- "It'll be over soon."

I loaded the gun, taking a deep breath as I fought back the tears; I couldn't let my vision blurry or else I might miss the spot and cause them more pain than necessary.

- "Alright, I'm sure Sheda is waiting for you somewhere."

I petted his face once more, offering him the carrot I had taken from the kitchen and, as he finished it, I shot him. I closed my eyes, letting my head fall back as I clenched my jaw. I would not allow the tears to run down my face. Not yet.

The shot had startled Helios, who started to neigh anxiously and tried to get free to run away. I made sure Vukan's eyes were closed before moving to O's horse.

- "Hey, buddy." –I petted his face- "It's alright, nothing to worry about." –I moved my hand to my pocket, taking out an apple, knowing those were his favorite- "I got something for you."

I allowed him to smell it and he neighed, moving his head up and down as if saying yeah, I want that, a chuckle leaving my lips as I took out my smallest blade to cut the apple in several pieces so that he wouldn't choke. I stood with him for the next 10 minutes, feeding him the apple slowly, realizing that killing Vukan had been hard but this was going to be worse. I untied the knot to the post and made him lay with me on the ground, feeding him the last slice of apple I had.

- "I'm sorry O can't be here to say goodbye." –I talked to him softly, as calmly as I could- "You see? The rain is toxic and it'd kill her, the same way it could kill you any time now." –he neighed as if he understood- "No, it won't kill me, it's fine. Don't worry about me. You just think of apples and green clearings, clear skies and long warm days..." –I moved the gun over the spot I had to shoot him on- "Goodbye, buddy."

And I shot, his head immediately falling to the side as he died. I didn't sign up for this. I closed his eyes and then moved back, resting my back on his side, going over what I had just done, trying to convince myself it was what had to be done. If I hadn't they'd have died as that guy at the lab... this was the best way. I nodded my head. It was, yes.

I didn't know for how long I stood there, only coming back to reality as a drop of water that had nothing to do with the tears running down my cheeks fell on my face. I opened my eyes and looked up: the ceiling had started to leak as the rain had become heavier for a couple of minutes. I rose from the ground, seeing Vukan and Helios' skins burnt on the places the drops fell.

- "It was the right thing to do."