CHAPTER 7: Forest of Memories

Start from the beginning

           Edgar smirked. "I like to eat them."

         "Do you?" Boulder's gaze shifted to Edgar's legs. "Oh, I see. You're a spider. Maybe you can kill the termites for us?"

      "I'd love to."

      "Then follow me." Boulder walked off into the woods. There weren't any paths.

        Edgar frowned. "Strange. Why are there no paths here?"

         Boulder shivered. "There's no need for one. Nobody ever goes to the termite nest."

            As they ventured deeper, the bugs on the wood became more noticeable, and the bark on the trees looked parched and weathered. All of the bugs were either covered in bumps, spikes, or revolting green slime.

            Edgar could feel his stomach churning at the very sight of those bugs. "Ugh... I never thought bugs could look that disgusting!"

            Boulder smiled sadly. "These are no normal bugs, I'm afraid. This part of the forest is home to much dark magic, and as its influence grows, more insects become tainted."

            A few normal-looking bugs suddenly swelled up. One was covered in blisters full of pus, a second sprouted prickles, and the third oozed slime. Edgar wanted to throw up. "Yuck..."

          Something skittered over his foot and he screamed, but it was just a beetle. Edgar felt color rising in his face as Boulder smirked. "I thought you eat bugs."

         "Yeah, I do. But they're not usually this horrifying. Or... disgusting."

           They emerged into a clearing that was absolutely swarming with termites. An abnormally large tree stump sat in the center of the clearing, swarmed by termites similarly to how ants swarm an anthill.

            Edgar moaned. "Oh my god... that's too much for me to eat!"

             Boulder shuddered. "The only one we really need to get rid of is the queen. The other termites will migrate elsewhere without her."

             He looked mournfully towards the stump. "The issue is... she's probably in the stump, and I don't know how we're going to lure her out."

           "There has to be some way!" Edgar said, confidently.

             Boulder's eyes lit up. "Hold on... I think I know how to flush her out!"

             "What? With fire?"

             Boulder smirked as he took out a water canteen. "Nope. Water!"

             Boulder picked his way through the termites, and poured the contents of the canteen inside the stump. A very large termite crawled out. At full size, she was nearly the size of Edgar.

            "Oooo, lunch is served. Oh, look! There's the queen!" Edgar yelled. "Oh my god, she's huge!"

          "Get her, quick!" Boulder shouted. "If she gets away, she'll repopulate!"

          The queen twitched her feelers, then rushed at Edgar without warning. Edgar grabs her and threw her down, sending her sprawling. He hopped onto her back, and she bucked wildly, trying to throw him off.

            "Do you see that steel circlet around her head?" Boulder called. "It's enhanced her size! If you remove it, she'll be tiny again!"

             Edgar looked at the queen's head. Sure enough, encircling her head was a thin steel circle, just reminiscent of a makeshift crown. "This here?"

             "Yes! The circlet!"

             Edgar took hold of the circlet and tried to yank it free. The queen reacted quickly, fanning her wings out to block him. Edgar fell hard to the forest floor, but not before taking the steel crown with him.

             The termite queen collapsed beside him, shrinking rapidly until she was no bigger than Edgar's thumb. All the other termites scattered, taking off in various directions.

             "Begone, you evil things! How's the taste of defeat?" Boulder yelled at the retreating termites, running to congratulate Edgar.

             Edgar eyed the tiny termite queen. She was squirming in his hand, trying to get free. Boulder stared at her as well. "Well, what are you going to do?"

           "Eat her," Edgar said, and he gulped down the termite. Boulder looked away, making a face. "How can you eat that? I'm going to be sick..."

          "Food is food," Edgar replied, savoring the taste of the delightful insect. He then turned towards the stump. "Alright, let's get that Emerald."

             Boulder walked over to the stump and thrust his hand inside, rummaging around until he pulled out a gorgeous green stone. Its beauty sparkled in all shades of green, bathing the clearing in harsh luminance. All the infected bugs returned to normal, and the darkness lightened considerably.

             Edgar plucked a beetle from a tree and ate that too. "Yep, they're normal again."

           Boulder turned away as he sighed, "Definitely."

          The Emerald glowed brighter as Boulder handed it to Edgar. It pulled him up into the clouds and back towards the palace. He waved farewell to Boulder and let the cool breeze wash through his fur.

         Charley and Barley were going to be so proud!

           ~END OF CHAPTER~