Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

Watson

Swallowing a cold lump of fear, I started toward the door, supporting Holmes as I went. I whispered, "When I open the door, you lean on the frame and hold your pistol to whomever is on the left. I'll take the one on the right. Preferably, this'll go down without either of us actually firing, as it will alert the others, but we may have no choice."

Holmes nodded, panting. It was difficult to see his face, but his skin had an unhealthy pallor and sweat shone on his sharp features. He appeared to be going into shock.

We reached the door. I put my hand on the doorknob, and helped Holmes prop himself up against the door. It was against my professional judgment to allow him to do anything at all, but I knew he would never agree to stand by idly while I took on the danger alone, no matter how bad his condition.

Drawing in a deep breath, I pulled upon the door with a jerk and put my revolver to the head of the man on the left before he had a chance to so much as move a muscle. I glanced to my right and saw Holmes had done the same. "Don't make any loud noises or sudden moves," I whispered, "or your brains will be adorning the wall, understand?"

"You don't have to tell me twice, Dr. Watson," whispered the man against whom I was holding my revolver. "I'll even put my pistol on the ground nice and slow for you." I recognised his voice to be Brown's, which meant that the other was Williams, as he was the other man Rogers had stationed at this door.

Williams gave a very undignified whimper.

"Between you and me," whispered Brown conspiratorially, "that one's likely to bolt the moment you turn your back. I recommend putting him out of commission for a while, eh? I'll even do the honors for you."

I pressed the barrel of my revolver harder into his temple, warning him not to move. "How do I know you will not attack Holmes or myself instead?" I asked in a louder whisper than I had used yet.

"Three reasons," he responded quietly. "One: I don't attack injured men unprovoked. Two: I have been anxious to do some damage to that weaselly little rat for some time now. And the third reason is a silver pocket knife, about four inches long folded up, and unless I am very much mistaken, resting in your right coat pocket at this very moment. The final reason, I believe, is enough proof on its own."

I gasped. "So it was you!" I whispered. "I thought so, but I couldn't be sure."

He nodded. "It was indeed me. Now, if you will excuse me for just a moment…" He took two steps over to Williams, who stared at the gun in Brown's hand with wide and pleading eyes. "Oh, quit lookin' at me like an overgrown puppy. You're downright pathetic." With that, he gave Williams a solid thump upside the head with the side of his pistol, and the blond man crumpled to the floor unconscious.

As Brown turned back toward Holmes and myself, I noticed that Holmes and Brown shared the same expression of grim amusement that I am only slightly ashamed to admit was likely mirrored upon my features as well.

"Doctor, you can trust me," said Brown, his tone now serious. "Go support Mr. Holmes before he falls over."

Holmes bristled, but did not deny the truth in his words.

"Only if you hand over the pistol and any other weapons on your person," I said, my revolver still trained upon Brown. "I am taking no chances."

The man sighed. "I understand that, but you're going to need another armed man. I'm coming with you. Or rather, you're coming with me."

"Is that supposed to be a threat?" Holmes demanded more loudly than I wished he would speak, leaning forward in his earnestness and nearly losing his balance against the wall behind him. He gripped the doorway for support and I took two steps toward him, my eyes and revolver never leaving Brown, and carefully eased Holmes's arm back around my shoulders.