Chapter Eighteen

Beginne am Anfang

"Blackmail," Percival said with an unsurprised nod. "Then you intend on paying him?"

Rosalind shook her head emphatically. "Of course not! I have done nothing wrong and I have no intention of being made to pay for it. Once we pay, what is to stop him from demanding more in the future?"

Her cousin let out a laugh. "At least you have the intelligence to recognize that. I'm afraid there have been some naive enough to take Rowley at his word. If you are not going to give in to his demands, why are you going to London?"

Puzzled be his questions, Rosalind frowned. Hadn't she already said? "If we are in London, Evan hopes it will put an end to Mr. Rowley's wagging tongue. My husband and I are happily married, and if everyone sees that..."

Percival chuckled. "Society will think you both adept at acting. No, going will only give Rowley what he wishes: attention."

"He cannot be going to so much trouble and effort just for attention!" Rosalind protested. "Is he not received everywhere in London? Why would he want attention from me?"

"I assure you, Cousin, I know what I am talking about." Percival leaned back. "Rowley and I have been acquainted for many years, and I have seen his methods time and again. Going to London will only put you in the way for him to manipulate you and your husband."

Reluctantly, Rosalind nodded. "I have seen him try to manipulate."

"Stay here, or go back to your husband's estate if you wish to leave." Percival glanced around. "The company here is not so enthralling. Instruct a trusted servant to destroy any further correspondence Rowley sends. Don't even look at it. I promise you that is the only way to end this matter."

Using her head to shield her eyes from the sun, Rosalind studied the man's profile. "Thank you for your council, cousin," she said sincerely. "I confess what you say makes a great deal of sense."

"And now I would ask something of you," Percival said, his eyes narrowing. "Miss Christianna Cooper. Where was she from? What did you learn of her?"

Stunned, Rosalind blinked. "I'm afraid she did not say. She only said that it was an eight-hour journey to Ambershire and that she is currently residing with an elderly aunt. She avoided mentioning any other family."

"She told you nothing of any importance?" Percival demanded, his tone impatient.

"She had a rather severe companion with her, who kept Miss Cooper from sharing anything detailed with us," Rosalind told him honestly. "She did say that her great-aunt's name was Miss Daly if that is at all helpful."

"Miss Daly?" Percival repeated, a frown causing creases in his forehead. He shook his head. "That won't be much help."

"I'm afraid Miss Cooper kept to herself while she was with us, though I think she would have been more forthcoming if her companion had not glared at her so often. If I had to guess―" Rosalind paused as she collected her thoughts. "My impression of Miss Cooper was that she was in some sort of disgrace with her family and speaking of them was painful."

Sir Percival nodded slowly as he stood up. "I was afraid as much."

"I'm sorry I could not be more helpful. Miss Cooper was a charming woman."

"Your insights have been helpful enough. I thank you for being so forthcoming, cousin," he said with a bow. "I will trouble you no more."

Rosalind rested her hand in her palm, watching him walk away. Had Percival known Miss Cooper before? Why else would he be so interested in the lady?

"You look puzzled, Lady Evan," Mr. Williams said as he approached. He offered her his hand.

Accepting his assistance, Rosalind rose and then brushed off her skirt. "I just had a rather interesting conversation with my cousin," she said honestly. "I believe it to be the first time he has ever offered me advice or spoke to me as an equal."

"And what brought it on, do you think?"