"Oh, I wouldn't be forward." Miss Smithson climbed to her feet. "If I present myself, and we suit, then I will not have made a cake of myself, would I?"

"While the gentlemen are lawn bowling is not the opportunity to present yourself, Miss Smithson," Emily said, "unless you are fond of the game and wish to join? Or perhaps you would like to play Graces."

Miss Smithson frowned as she considered what Emily had told her. "I think a walk would do me good. Thank you for your council, Mrs. Williams." The young lady walked away from the blankets.

"And here I thought house parties were held for the sole purpose of flirting and matchmaking," Rosalind said as she leaned back. She shivered as a cool wind blew against her face. "The only ones here who have the slightest interest in flirting are us solemn married couple."

"I cannot think of anything more tedious than watching others matchmake," Emily said firmly. "You do remember how unhelpful I was when you were enamored with Mr. Goldman, do you not?"

"I remember it more as you were more caught up in your own attraction to a new neighbor to worry about what concerned my romance."

Emily waved her hand. "And it all worked out for the best, didn't it?"

Mrs. Melbourne sank onto the blanket on the other side of Emily, who leaned over to pick up the wooden letters commonly used for word games. "Poor Miss Smithson," Mrs. Melbourne said. "I fear she is destined to be disappointed."

"I did try to warn her," Emily said with a sigh.

"Well, the young do not always listen to advice from others, especially when it comes to matters of the heart." Mrs. Melbourne's gaze became distant. "I know I was not inclined to shake off the heartache of a disappointment when I was young."

"But you are not so very old," Emily cried in protest.

The other woman shook herself. "Perhaps not, but I did know loss when I was about Miss Smithson's age. It is not an easy thing to bear."

"Well, I am certain Miss Smithson is not so attached to Lord Selkirk that she will not recover when he leaves," Emily said firmly. "Let us play a game, shall we? You have the letters, Mrs. Melbourne. Perhaps you shall start for us."

****

After everyone had eaten the picnic provided, the party began to break up. Emily walked a short distance to bid farewell to the Smithsons. Disinclined to rise, Rosalind watched from the blanket on the ground.

"It was brought to my attention that you plan to cut short your visit, Cousin."
Surprised by her cousin's serious words and tone, Rosalind looked up. "Yes, that is our plan," she said cautiously. There was no one else nearby at that moment.

Percival's expression was grave. "And I presume you do so to silence Rowley with your presence. Unless your husband has a more physical approach to silencing the man."

"Our aunt has kept you well-informed," Rosalind said with a sigh. She really wasn't surprised by the realization since Emily had been informed. "Evan and I hope Mr. Rowley will cease his mischief once we return. Or, at least, we can show his words are nothing but lies."

But Percival just shook his head. "I would advise you to change your plans." He hesitated for a moment before sitting beside her. He looked uncomfortable seated on the blanket, his legs stretched out before him. "If you give Rowley what he wants, it will be all the harder to make him stop."

"Us returning to London isn't what Mr. Rowley wants, though," Rosalind said in protest. "He asked for―" She broke off, uncertain whether she should say or not. What harm would it be? "Well, to be perfectly honest, he has hinted he would accept payment to put an end to the rumors."