17 - A Christmas Video

Awkwardly, Juice shoved his hands deeper into his pockets when Chibs started to snigger after Juice had revealed his plan. 

"Yer settin' high standards for the others lad. If ye plan this shite for yer sponsor's daughter, I can't wait to see what you have in mind for me and yer other brothas."

Juice felt that his cheeks started to glow. Buying presents for the others... he hadn't thought about that at all and Christmas was only three days away! Panic squeezed his throat. What were they expecting from him? Expensive gifts? Making things right with Abigail had been the only thing on his mind lately. 

"You uh... you think she's gonna like it?"

"I'm sure she does. She felt bad that she couldn't come, but she had already promised her roommate to spend Christmas with her. The poor lass lost her parents a few years ago, and even though Abigail took her to the clubhouse two years ago to celebrate Christmas with us, her friend didn't feel very comfortable around here." Chibs shrugged his shoulders. "Typical Abigail to bear that in mind. But I'm sure she already told ya, huh?"

Nervously, his thumbs rubbed his forefingers. Was it a trick question? Did he know that they weren't talking anymore? "She uh... yeah she said something like that," he murmured. His cheeks were getting hotter. If Chibs hadn't known about their fight, he was probably sensing it now. Quickly he decided to continue their conversation. "You uh... you think there's a way to get Opie on camera?"

Chibs raised his eyebrows. "Ye really go big for my lil girl hmm?" He tilted his head a little. "Still just friends?"

Juice bent his head. Then he just blurted it all out – he was too scared that Chibs would catch him in a lie, which was probably worse than hearing the truth. 

"We're in a fight," he muttered. "I... sent her some... inappropriate texts when I was drunk." He bit his lip, his face felt so hot there was almost coming steam off. "I uhm... I'm in love with her."

Chibs started to laugh. "Oh really? Never noticed that..."

Awkwardly, he ran his hand across his mohawk. "She doesn't want more. And she finds it hard that I have feelings for her but I miss her... she was my best friend around here you know..." He cleared his throat when he noticed that he was rambling. "I wanna make it up to her. Just... being friends again."

He didn't dare to look at his sponsor. When Chibs laid a hand on his shoulder, he however looked up in surprise. 

"I know my daughter. I don't think it's you kid, it's ain't yer feelings she's worried about." He winked. "But she's a woman. She needs to analyze her feelings twenty times fore she understands 'em." He squeezed his shoulder. "If ye take some cash with ya ye might smuggle in a camera. Especially if you tell 'em it's for Ope's kids."

"Okay," he muttered. Skittishly, he looked at the man again. "Thanks. For eh... not gutting me like a fish for liking your daughter."

"I'd been more offended if ye didn't like her." He showed him a crooked smile. "Well, go record those videos. Before ye know it Christmas is over."

. . .

It had sounded like a good plan – but once Juice was waiting at a table he was suddenly very nervous. That guy didn't even know him. Juice had seen his picture on the wall and he looked tough. But he was Abigail's best friend, so he had to be nice, right?

The camera he had bought, was lying on his lap. He had given the guard 70 bucks to take it inside. It was a lot of money  for such a small favor – and he hoped Opie wanted to cooperate. 

Juice sat up a little straighter when the door was opened. Opie's hands were cuffed in front of his waist and he looked around. Although there was only one other visitor, who was already accompanied by a prisoner, Juice raised his hand a little hesitating. The man came closer; he was a lot taller than Juice had imagined.