the boy who had nothing

Chapter 1:In Which We Enter Fralen

Once upon a time In the town of Fralen in the outskirts of the fourth colony there was a boy, but not your average child. He was the kind of child who would sneak into their parents' room while they were sleeping and steal all manner of things, namely his father's rifle. Then he would go into the yard and perfectly hit glass beads off of sticks, or clip the wings of birds from 60 yards away.

His life was troubled from a young age. Almost daily he would see someone die in the streets from starvation, and this troubled him. It troubled him because every day the lords, the "master race" feasted on cakes, and ale, and the finest meats in the colony, while the peasants starved and fought over crumbs and bones. He vowed to change this, someday.

Chapter 2: In Which the Boy Learns of Loss

One day when the boy was a teenager of 17 years he arrived home to see his father sitting on the porch crying into his hands. This confused the boy, for he had never seen his father cry. He asked his father what had happened and was frozen by what his father said,

"your mother is dead. starved in front of her family. I will never forget the look on her face when she died, not scared or mad. But happy."

this was too much for the boy to understand at this age. How could anyone relish death? Why should anyone relish death? People should not have to fight for something that they need to survive.

Chapter 3: In Which the Boy Joins The 4th

Later that night, the boy was walking in the street when a man sidled up to him.

"I heard about your mother. That's sad. My condolences. But I may have a solution."

The boys eyes widened.

"My name is Captain DeYurront, and a large group of us are forming a militia, and we want you to join."

The boy needed no more convincing. The next day he mounted his horse and rode with the 4th division. When he reached the town border he faltered, and looked back at his town, his friends and his family before continuing on with his division.

Chapter 4: In Which the Boy is locked on to His Path

About a month later the 4th division hit the front lines, and just in time. The forces at the front lines were being overwhelmed by the enemy, and were in desperate need of reinforcements. It was a bloodbath. The boy stood in shock as he saw the fighting ensue, heard the screams, and felt the shock waves from bombs exploding on the ground. He stood there for a good 30 seconds before Captain DeYurront slapped him across the face and yelled.

"Are you waiting for them to surrender? Get Going!"

The boy fought for months this way. Until it just became habit, not war, or unusual, but every day. And it would stay that way, until he died.

Chapter 5: In Which We Learn of The Mission

When he was not fighting he was training, mindless work that he could do and escape from his brain, and his life. He would shoot clay pigeons until he could hear the sounds of his father's tears, or the screams of his friends on the battlefield ringing in his head. He longed for peace, and food and a way to end the war, but you should be careful what you wish for.

The next day the front lines were ablaze with the idea of a specialized volunteer mission that could end the war forever. There was only one catch, it was likely a suicide mission. 2 hours later the captain made an announcement.

"You are in no way required to accept this mission, in fact I would be suprised if more than 3 of you did. But this is the way that we win, the way we prove the 'master race' wrong. We are not monsters, we are not things to be laughed at! We are the only solution to this 'problem'."

The boy signed up without any thought.

Chapter 6: In Which the Boy is a Boy no More

The ride to the briefing room was silent, no one dared to speak of their destiny. Their mission was to kill the enemy general. A man known only as "the final judgement". The boy stood in panic as he saw the footage of the general fighting, for he fought with only his bare hands. All of the other volunteers backed down immediately after seeing the generals face in combat, but The boy was ready to end this and go home. So he did not back down

Chapter 7: In Which The Boy Gets His Wish

The next day the boy and Captain DeYurront rode to the mission site in silence, for they both knew what they were doing. 2 miles from the site they dismounted and hid among the enemy troops, moving quickly towards the general. Soon they were less than 20 feet from the general and the boy accepted his fate. He would, in all probability, die today. Far from his friends and home.

The Captain gave the signal and the plan went into effect. The boy fired his gun at the general and was shocked when the bullet bounced right off of his armor. The Captain jumped up and tried to stab the general, but the general grabbed him around the neck and slammed him into the ground

The boy ran to his captain and sat him up on a wall. The boy tried to set the Captain's dislocated arm but failed miserably, making the wound worse. The captain opened his eyes and said

"You can't save everyone, kid. So you need to learn to choose. My back broke on impact. Forget me. Win this."

The boy stood and watched the life leave his captains eyes before turning back to the general. the boy pulled a small explosive device out of his coat, their last ditch plan, and primed it. He started running towards the general. The general cracked his knuckles, oblivious to the bomb. When the boy reached 10 feet of the general he jumped, landing on the generals back and detonated the bomb. The explosion killed the general. The boy was knocked back, his neck breaking on impact. This boy got his wish, at great cause.

Chapter 8: In Which We Return to Fralen

The boys body was returned to Fralen on a transport carrying food and water for the town. His father and siblings carried the coffin back to the yard where they performed the ceremony and buried the boy. His mission was complete. This boy could finally rest.

Chapter 9: In Which We See the World Again

Once upon a time In the town of Fralen in the outskirts of the fourth colony there was a boy, but not your average child. He was the kind of child who would sneak into their parents' room while they were sleeping and steal all manner of things, namely his father's rifle. Then he would go into the yard and perfectly hit glass beads off of sticks, or clip the wings of birds from 60 yards away.

But he grew up in a utopian society that had all the resources needed to sustain itself and its citizens. He grew up to be a farmer, far from the wars of old, and every sunday he took his children to place flowers on the golden statue in the square, of the boy who saved the city.