12 | Extendable Ears

Start from the beginning

''This is the first exemplar, and we've decided to give it to you. We've tested it and it works.''

''Damn, it does? That's impressive,'' Y/n said, untangling the string. ''Thanks. Have you named them yet?''

Fred and George looked at each other. ''We decided to let you name them.''

Y/n looked down at the ears, wondering what name she could give them. They were ears, obviously. And they extend, don't they? Maybe, ''Extendable Ears?''

The twins shared a look again, nodding at the idea. ''Yeah, that could work,'' Fred said.

Harry didn't join them on dinner, since him and Ron were still fighting about Harry entering the tournament without telling Ron, the latter being to thick-skulled to accept that Harry hadn't done it.

''I don't like Professor Moody,'' Hermione had concluded after a few months of having him. ''He's so unorganized and careless!''

''What has he done now?'' Y/n asked and Hermione told her about them learning the Unforgivable Curses and the way Moody had been towards Neville. ''That's horrible!''

''I know,'' Hermione said. ''But you were right - he does seem like he doesn't know what he's talking about. And he kept drinking from his flask every five minutes probably. How much liquid can be in there?''

''I have no idea.'' Y/n shrugged. ''But I feel like there's something fishy about it.''

''Maybe we're overthinking it,'' Hermione suggested.

''Maybe we are.''

- - -

Days consisting of classes, pranks, studying and more pranks passed quickly and before any of them knew it, it was the day of the First Task. When Y/n entered the Great Hall for breakfast with the twins that day, she noticed Harry sitting on his own. Fred and George went off to sit with Lee, whilst Y/n decided to go wish Harry good luck before the task.

On her way there, though, she bumped into the second Hogwarts Champion. ''Hey, Cedric! How're you feeling about the first task?''

''Honestly? Kind of nervous.''

''I'd consider you a fool if you weren't.'' Cedric laughed. ''Though I think you'll do great. You're skilled enough to win!''

''Thanks.'' Cedric smiled at her. ''That means a lot.

''No worries.'' Y/n shook her head. ''Anyway, I have to go see Harry now. See you later!''

Harry seemed to be mostly alone – Dean, Seamus and Neville were around him, though it seemed like the three were having a conversation to themselves. Y/n approached Harry and sat down next to him, causing the boy to lift his head up. ''Hi, Y/n.''

''How're you holding up?'' Y/n asked, putting an arm around his shoulders. She felt horrible for Harry – she remembered the times he'd come to her to talk about his troubles, or have a conversation with her, the times she'd have to go to his house in Privet Drive to make sure he's eating properly and wasn't being abused by the Dursleys. He didn't deserve this. And yet, here they were.

''I'm scared.''

''I guessed. Honestly, I'm scared for you, too,'' Y/n admitted, not making feel Harry better like she usually does.

''I hope there's a 'but' to this.''

Y/n laughed. ''But if anyone could do it, that's you. You're Harry Potter!''

''Y/n, I have to battle a dragon. I don't think me being Harry Potter would protect me from getting burned to a crisp.''

''I know, but Hermione told me you've figured it out,'' Y/n told him. ''There are gonna be teachers there and many adults. Besides, I'll be in the stands, having my wand at the ready.''

''Thanks, Y/n.''

''No problem, bud,'' Y/n said and raised her hand in his hair, messing it up more than it already was. Harry complained and swatted her hand away, causing the girl to laugh. ''Do you want to come and sit with the twins, Lee and I? I'm sure they won't mind.''

''No, it's fine.'' Harry shook his head. ''Besides, I don't want to sit next to you and watch you make heart eyes at Fred.''

''How dare you, Potter!''

- - -

She wasn't dressed appropriate for the weather – she realized that when she was halfway to the Quidditch Pitch, where the First Task would be held, and a cold gust of wind had caused shivers to run through her whole body. She rubbed her hands up and down her upper arms, trying to keep herself at least somewhat warm.

Fred heard the sound of her chattering teeth and turned away from his conversation with George and Lee, looking down at Y/n, who'd been unusually quiet on the whole way. He saw her whole body trembling and smiled slightly at the cute sight.

''You alright, love?'' Fred asked, causing Y/n to look up at the twins and Lee, who were all looking at her.

''Yeah, you've been quiet for a while,'' George commented. ''Usually you would talk your throat raw.''

She rolled her eyes. ''I'm fine. I'm just freezing.''

''I told you to take a scarf.'' Fred took his hat off, placing it over Y/n's head and fixing it so it won't cover her eyes.

''Fred, why're you-'' Fred cut her off by wrapping his scarf around her neck and up to her mouth, muffling her last words. Y/n pulled the scarf down so she could speak and said, ''You're gonna be cold now.''

''Just walk, will you?'' Y/n didn't fight any further, though she looked away and felt her cheeks becoming warmer.