Ocean

They dont know who I really am, what I really am. They think I'm just a bubbly girl, constantly wearing a smile. This facade, this mask... I refuse to do this any longer.

I cannot bear to take another look at the scars that grow each and every time that I go home. Dad's too drunk to know what he's doing, mums too scared to stop it. Yesterday it was the bottle. Thrown at my head, it nearly hit me. It was then that I decided to leave this dastardly world behind.

I walked to the bridge, rope and weight in hand. I stared out over the lake, crystal blue and tied the rope to the weight and then to my waist. I recalled the last document, proving that I had existed. The note:

Dear Mum and dad,

I know this is unexpected yet I'm sure you saw this coming. Mum I hope this gives you the courage to walk away from this man, the man who has tied you down and hurt you, cuffing your potential to this mediocre life.

Dad, please stop drinking. I know this will make you angry, it usually does but for the love of Gods grace. You have already lost one daughter do you care to lose you wife too?

The people in school will not know of what happened. They may think something went wrong with a swim that I had done.

I did always like to swim.

The ball and chain that once confined me to you, to this, to the scars that lay upon my wrists will be the ones to free me.

Let me be buried under the sea as a reminder of family and choice. This could have been different. Oh well.

Yours in remorse,
Willow Danver

I stepped upon the ledge of the railing, the sea once so scary and foreboding will now be the lullaby that hushes me to sleep for eternity.

I jumped.

I breathed in the water, there was no point fighting this.

As my vision faded and my body turned numb I told myself that it would be better soon.

When I awoke I saw a bright, blinding white light.