Mental Capacity

Chapter 1

Tinned food again for dinner, always a delight. Still, at least it’s food. AndI’m getting a free show…They’re fighting again. They always do when I’m having tea. It’s as if I’m just air making food vanish mysteriously, but can see them. And they always fight. What about? Nothing, it’s just because they hate each others guts. They split up and moved away from each other, isn’t that enough? Not for them, apparently. It gets so stressful trying to eat in this environment. I keep on fearing that it will get violent, that kind of fear just puts me off of my food. She spat on him as I craned in another mouthful of that bland, unappealing slop. Suddenly, that rubbish had a bit of flavor, but it wasn’t a good taste. It’s as if she threw that huge gob of phlegm into my own mouth. I coughed it on to the paper plate. Great, she’s pointing at me. She still has her rock-hard gaze locked onto him. Now she’s walking over to me, I’m surprised she’s not tripping over due to that she’s still focusing on him! She finally turns to me and molds a warming smile, but I can see past it. Her anger seeps through her face like steam through her mouth, through her nose, through her damn eye sockets! It’s so potent that it blisters my own face like mustard gas.

She gently touches the purple area surrounding my eye. I flinch at the pain. It’s blinding, deafening and excruciating. She jabs that all so repetitive finger at him several times, as if she were trying to stab him with it. She then gently runs her hand across the dry, singed outline of the purple area. He starts to snarl like a cornered dog. He begins to rub his fingers together. My heart starts to beat so fast that I can feel it hitting my rib cage. But she blindly keeps thrusting that God damn finger at him, she’s only going to make the situation worse! He snaps his fingers so loudly it sounds like he has cracked wood over his knee. This stuns her instantly. Fear swells up inside of her in a matter of seconds; she’s concerned about what will happen next. I’m just frozen like I’m handcuffed to the table. He snaps them again; a small spark erupted from the tips of his fingers. He was getting ready to snap them again when she started to plead for mercy and to “take” her instead of me. He’s not willing to refuse such an act of compassion. He snaps his fingers for a third time and his whole hand combusted into a reddish flame. At that moment he lunged for her, he was so fast I jumped out of my chair. In merely half a second he was on top of her, throwing fiery punches that sear severely after each blow. I couldn’t do anything to counteract these actions, I tried that before and that didn’t turn out too pleasant. I crawl into the corned and curl into a ball crying merely mumbling for him to stop. For obvious reasons, he couldn’t hear me. He just kept on hitting her. She stopped screaming. It was just silence interrupted every second by a singular smack. Crack. CRUNCH! That single sound was enough to lift me off the floor, I knew something was wrong. I holler at the top of my lungs begging him to stop. He ignores it easily and continues. Tears fall from my eyes like waterfalls, I scream at him again. He doesn’t listen. I need to do something have to do something I can’t just let him do this HE GOING TO KILL HER!!!

It feels as if the house is shaking and the world shaking with it. I couldn’t control my emotions at this point; I just plant my face in my hands as I begin to shake vigorously. These built up negative feelings are getting the better of me. I let them take me, I loose control for one measly second…But a lot can happen in a second. I inhale deeply, the deepest I have before, as if my lungs have tripled in capacity. I let out a single word: “STOP!” It prolongs for, what seemed like, an age. I hear a glass shatter, then another, then another. He sits there dazed, trapped in disbelief about what’s currently happening. Suddenly, his hand clutches his chest, as if he was trying to tear his own heart out. I stop and breathe deeply for a few seconds. My sight turns to him, he’s breathing deeply as well. Maybe because of his little “workout” but I doubt it. He collapses on the floor as his heavy breathing slowly gets quieter and quieter. It felt like a lifetime until he finally stopped breathing heavily. In fact, I don’t think he’s breathing at all. His body is limp and his actions are dead. They’re both limp, both on the floor, eyes open and expressions blank. The only thing moving in the room was a large pool on crimson that surrounded the two of them and it was slowly getting larger. What happened here? Is this a trick? Is this real? I stood there letting the events sink in. When I finally realise what’s happened I fall apart. The wallpaper starts to peel off the walls, the door starts to crack and unhinge and the ceiling began to shatter as if it were glass. I was frozen on the spot as the house came down. I don’t care if I’m buried, I deserve it! And, as the house came down, I fall on my knees and weep