11

Chapter 10 : Hard to explain

Song : Bad Guy ~ Billie Eilish.

Shubman and I were eating ice cream and sitting in this tiny park on a tiny bench- real close to our house.

He hadn't told me anything-but just asked questions.

He was so persistent but I couldn't make him understand why I was crying. It was so many things. I could even comprehend them myself.

First all this confusion with Shubman, then Rudra calling mom without even telling me and then mom's journal.

Like cmon I was her first born. At least mention me?

"Now you wanted to say something?" I finally ask him.

"Yup" he nodded and continued eating his ice cream.

"So ask?" I prompted him after a while, again.

"So I went home today and told my family about this fight I had. They want to meet you."

"Excuse me what" I almost shout. "Why"

"To see the ladki (Girl) for whom I fought"

"That makes no sense? They should punish you and all, why meet me?"

"Hard to explain" he stated

"Why didn't you get in trouble, Shubman? Honestly." I ask him now straightforward.

"My father is a very important political and business personality. Everyone knows him here. All the trips and new infrastructure and co-curricular activities of our school basically funded by him."

Oh.

I couldn't even say anything. And now they want to meet me.

"What's your dads name, again?"

"Lakhwinder Singh. And you're invited for lunch on Sunday. Wear something traditional please" he said and got up, I followed him.

"Let me drop you home"

I nodded and just went along with him.

I was quite the whole ride home. I don't know, it all felt a bit weird. He had these undeniable special privileges and it was kinda bothering me. Not that I wanted him to get punished or anything but still-

"Thanks for the ride and the time. But really you don't need to fight for me"

"Are you okay?"

"Totally." I smiled at him and then got into my house.

I was mad at him- but the reason wasn't clear. So I didn't want him to know.

I'm probably PMS-ing.

So let's see today is Friday, tomorrow is Saturday and then Sunday I have to have lunch at Shubman's place.

"Where were you?" Rudra appears out of nowhere as I take off my sneakers

"Out" I'm kinda mad at him too.

Definitely PMS-ing.

"With Shubman?"

"Yes"

"Why"

"Don't see how that's any of your business" I spat at him and walk away.

"Jhanvi" he shouts after me but I burst into my room and lock the door behind me. I'm gonna get a good one from bibi for all this noise I'm making.

I decide to call Samiksha. I could call maya too, but I feel more close to Samiksha- she has this trustworthy vibe. I could talk to her about anything. Maya is a bit too carefree for all these serious talks.

Samiksha and I talk for a long time. I tell her basically everything. From how I am going to lunch with Shubman's family , to how mad I am about his special privileges and I'm mad at Rudra too. For some reason I don't tell her about my mom. Or the reason I'm angry at Rudra.

Eventually Shriya comes to call me for dinner. I'm like too late.

"I'm so sorry, had a lot of homework" I lie as soon as step into the kitchen

"No worries jhanvi" my Chachi smiles at me and motions for me to sit.

"Hogaya kaam sara?" (Finished all work?) Rudra eyes me suspiciously.

"Almost" I reply

"Nowadays kids have so much work" chacha exclaims

"Exactly. Inko free time hota hi nahi." (They don't get any free time) chote chacha adds

"Jhanvi tu tension na le. Aaram se Kar sab. Haan?" Bibi says to me as she passes me the aloo and gobi (don't take tension. Do everything at ease. Okay?)

I nod at her.

She cares for me so damn much.

It's nice. Having a family so loving and caring.

I should apologise to Rudra too, I think and continue eating my dinner.

Tomorrow is a holiday so I have to go out and buy some stuff for myself. Then I decide I will study all day long. Work hard and get better at physics and all.

Before sleeping, I stop by Rudra's room. To apologise.

"Jhans"

"Listen to me first. I'm sorry. I was just angry. I love you"

"I love you too" he hugs me and just like that we are fine.

"Sleep now I'll go" I say to him and begin to go back.

"Wait" he gets up and hands me something.

"Kya hai?" (What's this?) I ask him.

"Your cleanser I thought that if you found it missing you'll come here and then I can talk to you."

I snatch my stuff from his hand.

"Tum khud bhi mere room mai aasakte they. Stupid. Chor." (You could come to room yourself. Stupid theif) I laugh and he laughs too.

We talk for some time more. I tease him about Nikita and then I tell him everything about today. Like literally everything. Except the mom thing. I'm waiting for him to tell me that he called mom.

When he doesn't, for very long.

I go back to my room and go to sleep.

So you're a tough guy, like it really rough guy, just can't get enough guy, chest always so puffed guy.
I'm that bad type, make your mama sad type, make your girlfriend mad tight, might seduce your dad type.
I'm the bad guy
Duh!