Chapter Seventeen

Mulai dari awal

Leaning forward, Rosalind embraced the other woman. "Of course I will."

"And, if you haven't resolved the matter by the time my house party is over, I will be making the journey to London to stand by you," Emily said as she hugged Rosalind tightly. "Nothing, save your complete victory against Mr. Rowley, will stop me."

With a sigh, Rosalind pulled back. "I will keep that in mind. Thank you for your understanding."

"I suppose I would want to do the same thing if I were in your position."

"Then it is settled. Evan and I will leave tomorrow morning."

Emily shook her head. "In the meantime, I am determined to solve the mystery of our cousin's strange behavior. He hasn't said whether he accepted my invitation or not, so we'll see if he actually comes to the picnic."

Though she wanted to tell Emily to leave Percival alone, Rosalind held her tongue. Emily would do whatever she wanted. "Please don't say anything to the rest of the party," Rosalind said. "There's no need to put a damper on the day."

"Of course. I won't say a word."

****

The previous day's rain had left the ground slightly damp, but Emily was determined not to have her plans changed. Several chairs were provided for those who did not wish to sit on the blankets and risk having the dampness seep up through the cloth. A table spread with sweets and other food was to one side.

Several from the neighborhood arrived to join them, adding to the group. The only flaw was when Lord Selkirk frowned at Miss Smithson's arrival, reminding Rosalind that he had no wish to be chased by any young lady. Otherwise, it was a lively and friendly group.

An hour had passed with the gentlemen making polite conversation with the ladies. A few games had been made available for the guests, but no one had taken them up just yet.

In the midst of this, Emily gasped. "Oh, my heavens! Cousin Percival?"

Everyone twisted around at her exclamation. Sure enough, Sir Percival Ormund was striding towards the group. The expression on his face was stern and he didn't look particularly pleased to see any of them.

"Good afternoon, Sir Percival," Adrian Williams said, speaking up first. He rose from where he'd been reclining next to his wife. "I am glad you could join us. Allow me to introduce you to our guests."

Sir Percival merely nodded and turned towards the visitors who did not live in the neighborhood. Rosalind leaned over. "Emily, try to suppress your shock," she said in a whisper. "You said he had accepted your invitation, so it should be no surprise to see him."

"Well, I didn't think he would actually come. I thought his acceptance was only to put me off. He's never been sociable before!" Emily hissed back.

"Then why did you invite him?"

"Adrian said I had to." Emily shook her head. "He thought it would go a long way to smoothing things between us since we are neighbors. I sent over the invitation yesterday but never thought he would actually come! He didn't even send notice that he would be here."

"I, for one, am glad to see him," Rosalind said, watching her cousin be introduced to the gentlemen of their party. "From what I have gathered, he has not had much of a social life since he moved into the manor. The work he's doing to make improvements occupies a great deal of his time."

A scowl crossed Emily's face. "Doing what, exactly? What work was needed?"

Flinching, Rosalind focused her attention on her younger cousin. "Em, surely you knew not everything that needed to be done was seen to those last few weeks your father was alive."

"No, I did not know any such thing. My father—"

"Did everything he could, but his health was failing him," Rosalind said bluntly. "It had been happening for longer than your father let on. You have to accept that Lawrence Manor is not your home anymore. Percy can do what he chooses with the estate now. We've discussed this and I cannot put it any other way."

After a moment, Emily lowered her head. "I know," she whispered, her voice trembling. "But I can't stop loving the manor, Rose. I just can't. Not after all the years I spent there. I don't want to see it all destroyed."

"Percival isn't destroying anything. On the contrary, he is doing everything he can to ensure the Manor survives past our generation."

Out of the corner of her eye, Rosalind saw Sir Percival approach. "Dear cousins," the man said, making a bow to greet them both. "You're both looking remarkably well today."

"Perhaps, Cousin, if you saw us more often, you would know we always look well," Emily said tartly. She held her hand out. "However, we understand that your responsibilities have been keeping you busy, so you are excused. This time."

Sir Percival raised an eyebrow as he took her hand. "You're graciousness itself, Cousin Emily," he said. For a moment, his eyes lingered on Rosalind. "I hope you found what you needed in your father's journal."

"I've enjoyed getting a glimpse into my father's mind," Rosalind said honestly. "I was a child when he...died, you know. I feel I understand him better now."

"I am aware. I am also aware of the scandal and gossip that surrounded your father's passing. Is it too much to hope that you will take his example as a warning and not bring shame to the family?"

He'd heard. Though she wasn't sure how, Rosalind knew without a shadow of a doubt that her cousin had heard about the rumors. "Hope is a wonderful thing, cousin, and I live in hope that malicious rumors are not believed without proof," she said, forcing a smile, "and that my family stands by me through and trouble."

The corner of Sir Percival's mouth quirked, almost as though he were fighting a smile. "Bold words. I'd have expected to hear them coming from Cousin Emily's mouth, but not your's. I suppose, though, I shouldn't be surprised she has influenced you after all these years."
"I take that as a compliment," Emily said, raising her chin. "Corrupting Rosalind has been my sole purpose in life since she first came to Lawrence Manor."

To Rosalind's great surprise, Sir Percival let out a laugh at that. "I can well believe it." He hesitated for a moment. "Though it seems absurd, there are many who believe Rowley's lies. One would think that after so many years, most of society would have learned better."

He gave a nod and moved to return to the other gentlemen of the group.