Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"I think it would be best if we returned, and we can speak to a lawyer in person and—if we must—face down Mr. Rowley in person," Evan said firmly. "Surely that will be better than hearing everything he has done long after he has done it."

"I don't want people to think we returned just to present a unified face because of gossip," Rosalind said. "If we go back now, isn't that what they'll think?"

"The sooner we go, though, the sooner we can prove him to be the liar we know he is."

"How, exactly, do you think we're going to do that?"

Evan shook his head. "I'm not sure of the details just yet. I just know being so far away is not helping matters as we'd hoped. There must be something we can do to make him hold his tongue. Perhaps if he sees we have no intention of caving to his ridiculous demands, he will turn his attention elsewhere."

When put so simply, Rosalind couldn't deny there was a certain amount of logic to what her husband said. "While I don't think it could possibly be that simple, I'm willing to give it a try," she said with a sigh. "As long as you promise me you will not reduce yourself to his level to duel him."

"I give you my word as a gentleman," Evan said with a sigh.

Relieved, Rosalind leaned against him. "I don't know how I'm going to explain this to Emily."

"I'm sure she will be a mature adult about it."

****

"Go?" Emily said, widening her eyes. "But...why? I thought you would be here for at least a whole fortnight. My other guests haven't offended you, have they?" This last was said with sudden fierceness.

"Of course, they haven't!" Rosalind said, grasping her cousin's hands. "Each and every one of them has been lovely. Even Mrs. Goldman seems to have forgiven me for marrying well despite everyone's belief I would remain a spinster.

"Then why must you go?"

Releasing Emily's hands, Rosalind sighed. "Because Mr. Rowley's tongue continues to wag and I would rather face him head-on."

"But what do you plan to do?"

Rosalind let out a laugh. "Evan and I haven't quite worked that part out yet. I just know that nothing will be accomplished by hiding and hoping it all goes away. Some kind of action must be taken."

"Well, why don't you wait until you have a definite plan?" Emily asked stubbornly. "Only a fool rushes in with no plan."

"Em, you are the one who said I needed to be more assertive, remember? How many times have you told me to stand up for myself? To not let people use me? To not allow myself to be overlooked?"

Emily gave a pout which slowly turned to a smile. "I hate it when you use my words against me." Her expression became serious. "Go, then, if you are so certain it is the right thing to do. And, if you need a little help, all you will have to do is send for me."

"And have you abandon your guests?"

"Oh, I am sure Lord Selkirk would appreciate any excuse that would get him away from Miss Smithson's hopes," Emily said with a giggle. "Mrs. Melbourne would be delighted to return to her children. There. Do you see? It would be the work of nothing to rid myself of any duties here."

"And it would earn you the reputation of a thoughtless hostess," Rosalind chided, feeling as though nothing had changed between them in the last year. "I will have Evan by my side, you know. That will be enough."

"True, and as the son of a marquess, he will carry more consequence that I would," Emily admitted with a scowl. "Promise me you will write and keep me apprised of anything that happens."