Difficult Conversations

Bắt đầu từ đầu

He hoped it would help calm down everyone involved.

Opening the door he let his parents in who were followed by Noah and his family. He instantly held his arms out to Rose who stared at him for a minute and then showed him a big smile, allowing him to hold her. He kissed her head, enjoying the laughter which followed.

"Rose is in a good mood." He stated.

Kim tossed the baby bag on the floor near the three-seat couch and shrugged off her jacket, "She just had her nap so she'll be good for a little while." She smiled knowingly at him, "Do I smell something very nice baking in the oven?"

He glanced at Olivia who was quietly taking off her jacket and smoothing down her black glittery sweater, "It's Olivia's banana bread. It does smell incredible."

Olivia glanced at him, "Mom taught me it."

His niece wasn't in a hostile mood which was very much appreciated. He could hug her right now but he was already holding Rose. The little girl was taking in the apartment. She hadn't been to his apartment that often. Maybe twice before, he definitely needed to make more time for his nieces.

"I thought I'd help set the table but everything is finished." His mother was completely at awe at it all, "Should I make tea and coffee?" She asked.

"Everyone can move to the dining room, we can serve dinner already. We'll have tea and coffee after with the recipe Olivia taught Scarlett."

Emma looked happy with that suggestion, "Sounds good. I'm quite intrigued by this, Olivia."

Olivia shrugged it off but he could tell she was embarrassed by all the attention she received, "I didn't do anything." She muttered, "I told Scarlett the recipe mom taught me." She clarified.

"I'm still impressed," Emma told her and stepped closer to the younger girl to pull her in her arms.

His mother was also in quite a good mood so he hoped tonight would end on a good note. The conversation they were going to have wasn't going to be fun but if they were careful with it they could manage to avoid someone getting hurt.

They needed to be more tactful than last time, screaming to someone to back the fuck off wasn't going to work. It would only make enemies.

While everyone settled at the table Scarlett joined them. He handed Rose back to her mom and helped Scarlett with serving up the plates. They could be generous with their servings considering they made a little too much.

He warned Scarlett with this eyes. The subject needed to be brought up after dinner. He knew Lily and Olivia would end up playing a board game with their grandfather in the living room. They'd be snacking on popcorn and drinking juice while Kim would probably try and put Rose to bed. She'd sleep in the guest room. That would mean they could have the conversation quietly,

It was better that way. So they waited and kept up the casual talk about good recipes. The proposal at the beach house. He didn't like that one because Noah kept teasing him.

"Like you aren't a big softie when it comes to your girls." He told Noah.

His brother fell quiet, knowing that he was right. Noah wore a mask to work. He was strict and very professional. He could make very harsh decisions without blinking an eye. He wasn't like that at home.

That man who was a big softie at home didn't have the right to judge him.

"It was very cute what you did." Noah trailed off, holding his hands up when he felt Lucian's glare, "Just saying."

Emma sighed, "That's enough you two. You're too old to start arguments like these. You're not twelve anymore."

Kim glanced from her husband to him, "Sometimes I wonder about that." She giggled when they both glared at her for joking about that, "I'm going to change Rose's diaper and put her to bed. I can use the guest room, right?"

"Yes, I'll come with." Scarlett was escaping this conversation and she didn't look ashamed of it one bit, "I'll grab the baby bag."

Kim was already on her way to the guest room, "Thanks, Scar." She called over her shoulder.

Scarlett followed after her but not before she threw him a mischievous look. She knew exactly what she was doing and didn't feel guilty about it. He wasn't the only who caught that look on her face either. Noah cleared his throat and raised to his feet.

"I'm going to check the board games you've got stored here. I heard you bought quite the selection just for the girls."

"I'm helping!" Lily exclaimed.

Oliva was quiet but she followed her sister and dad to the bookcase which was filled with board games. His father started to clear the table, gesturing for him to sit down. He got it. Everyone knew he had something to say to Emma and no one wanted to be around.

That was not ominous at all.

"Since everyone left the table to give us some privacy you might as well tell me what's on your mind, Lucian." His mother didn't hold back either. It shouldn't surprise him how similar Emma and Scarlett were but it still did.

He leaned back in his chair, getting more comfortable for this conversation.

"Last time Scarlett got really upset about your interference with the wedding planning and I know you meant well but I need you to step back and let us handle this. It's our wedding, we need it to be exactly how we envisioned it."

"Your fiancée was out of line." His mother spoke quietly but the anger was clear in her eyes.

"I agree, Scarlett shouldn't have yelled at you like that but she didn't mean it."

Emma narrowed her eyes on him, "Scarlett needs to learn some control. You can't always speak your mind freely. Sometimes you need to take a step back and think before you speak. Really think about how your words will affect someone else."

His mother wasn't wrong but she didn't exactly practice what she preached. They always brought the worst out of each other.

"Mom, I'm sorry she crossed the line like that but you're not always careful with your words either."

He hoped that said enough. The way she sunk back in her chair and looked away from him said enough.

"I suppose we both need to learn to control our emotions better. I will step back and let you handle this." She told him, "I was promised tea after dinner, I'd like some now."

He smiled and raised to his feet, walking to his mom and giving her a kiss against the temple, "I will get you some tea." He moved to the kitchen and started on the tea and coffee.

Scarlett dared to join him after he had the conversation with his mother. She showed him an innocent smile but he wouldn't let her get away with this.

"Since I had the difficult conversation with my mother you can be in charge of this." He gestured to the kettle and nodded to the oven, "I'm going to join my nieces in the living room." He closed the space between them and pulled her into his arms, giving her a kiss against the cheek, "Have fun. I'd like some coffee." He gave her his order, "In my favorite mug."

He let go of her and joined his nieces, brother, and father in the living room. The evening didn't end on a bad note at all. They'd move forward with the wedding soon. Dawn would give birth to their baby first and he was actually looking forward to it.