Chapter Seven - More 'Good' First Impressions

Start from the beginning

Orm removed his helmet and dismounted his tylosaur.

"Aren't those extinct?" Aurelia muttered.

"Crown Prince Orm."

"King Nereus."

The two royals clasped arms in greeting.

"I must admit your attack against the surface surprised me."

"And why is that?"

"I thought you were always one to talk business before enacting upon it. Perhaps you are more like your father than I realized. Still, you picked a meeting place too close to the surface for my liking," stated the king. Now Aurelia knew where Mera got her striking red hair.

"Mine as well. But you do recognize where we are? The Old City." Orm began gesturing to the various statues as he spoke. "The Council of the Kings. In King Atlan's time, the Seven Kingdoms were one. Our ancestors gathered here. Atlantis sat here at the head of the table, Xebel always at our side. The Brine and Fishermen, the Deserters and Trench had not yet fallen, the Lost Nation had not yet vanished. Together, we were the greatest empire the world had ever seen. Now we are shackled by archaic laws and politics, while the threat above us grows undeniably stronger." Orm's blue orbs flicked up to look above them, the surface world looming up and beyond. "They have evolved, and now, so must we. To match their threat."

"Violence has always plagued the surface," Nereus countered. "They will destroy themselves."

Okay, he kind of had a point.

"Not before destroying us first. We have been hiding long enough. The time has come for Atlantis to rise again and reclaim itself as the world's leading empire."

"We honour you, King Nereus-" Vulko swam forward with his hammerhead shark. "By inviting Xebel to be the first kingdom to join Prince Orm's alliance."

"As if you have any, choice, Vulko. By law, you need four of the seven kingdoms for such an alliance. The Lost Nation and the Deserters have long since perished. The Trench, nothing but animals. The Brine will never join you and the Fishermen are cowards. Without me and my army to convince them, your plans fail." The king turned back to Orm. "But I know what you really want: once you've obtained the pledge of the four kingdoms, you will be ordained Ocean Master..."

This was met by a snort from Aurelia. "Sorry, sorry. It's just, that name..."

"So this is her then?" said Nereus. "Queen Atlanna's bastard child? I would never have known."

This shut Aurelia up. "Hey, watch it."

"Nereus, Aurelia, please." Orm held up a hand signalling for peace. "Yes, this is her. She is my guest. And as for Ocean Master - it is merely a title." He obviously wanted to get back on track.

"I am no fool, Prince Orm. As Ocean Master you will be commander of the greatest military might on this planet."

Military might great enough to attack the surface. Aurelia was piecing this together. This was moving quickly - they had to put an end to this before it began. She had to.

"I am the natural choice to lead it," Orm firmly, though she could tell his confidence was wavering.

"Are you?" Nereus cast a glace towards Aurelia. "And what of her? Your guest?" he mocked. "A fellow Atlantean of royal blood. You may be heir to the throne of Atlantis, but your claims are just weak. How can you possibly expect to unite an empire?"

"My loyalty is to the surface," stepped-in Aurelia. "I have no desire to be 'Ocean Master' or whatever."

"But you have a right to the throne. Just as much a right as he has. Will you not fight for it?"

"Trust me, there's a lot of things I'd rather do than rule Atlantis-"

BLAST!

Those at the front of the procession were thrown back by a sudden explosion. Aurelia went flying, spinning madly.

"Surface dwellers!" shouted Vulko. "To arms!"

A lone submarine was slowly making its way towards them, firing various shots.

Caught up in all the sudden commotion, a rumble above caused Aurelia to see a giant stone column falling towards her.

"Aurelia!" Orm swept in, shoving her out of the way. "Stay back, please." Before she could thank him, or do or say anything for that matter, he swam away, calling out orders to his guards.

Aurelia tried to drown out the awful cry one of the seahorses gave when another piece of the column gave way and landed on the poor creature. King Nereus wasn't so lucky either, and had a large chunk land on him as well.

"Stay back!" Orm rushed to the King of Xebel's side. "Your king is injured!" He made sure Nereus had assistance before taking his trident and swimming towards the rapidly-approaching sub. His tylosaur swam over and Orm jumped on his back, swimming straight for the sub.

There was a nearly-blinding flash when Orm stabbed his trident into the side of the sub, spearing it across its full length, delivering the final blow by knocking off the propeller. Everyone watched in equally stunned silence as the now dismantled sub crashed into some rocks below with a shaking crash, promptly exploding.

Aurelia almost began applauding - the way Orm had instantly sprang into action. "Whoa..." Well damn. That had been - impressive. Don't mess with Prince Orm. That was heroic! This was all her startled brain could muster in the moment of aftermath following the attack.

Orm floated back to King Nereus. "I'm not trying to start a war, the war's already begun."

Nereus regarded him. "Very well. It is war, then."

"Indeed it is-" Orvax floated forward. "Seize her!"

The next thing Aurelia knew, guards were grabbing her arms and dragging her towards the royals.

(Yay, some action! Love that scene of Orm taking out the sub! And some romance is coming up soon, I promise ;)

Thank you so much for reading and I hope you enjoyed! :))