The Story Of an Enigmatic Character

Start from the beginning

Since my childhood I have a passionate interest in acting. I used to perform on stage during my high school days. And then I made it a part of my life. I was so dedicated to this profession that sometimes I used to get confused with my real identity. During the second year I met with Vishal, second year student of robotics. But whenever I tried to recall his face I just got a blurry image of it. He used to be my best friend. Our trio was the best. From going to trips to enjoying late night parties. I found him to be my twin. But everything ruined after the college third year. I used to drink a lot as it was a trend to smoke weed and drink alcohols. My eyes were dizzy that evening, I came to Vhani's room to rest. I found another pair of shoes resting outside. I suspiciously entered into the room. I found Vhani's hands were tied to the corners of the bed with a rope. Her mouth was taped. A stranger was standing close to her. I saw him undressing her, tearing her panties and unzipping his pant. I rushed into the room to charge him but he was stringer and manly. He pushed me out of the room and kicked me on my balls. I was rattling on the floor in pain. I gazed at his face. It was Vishal. His eyes were as drunk as mine. I cried outside for help but no one was there. I slept there outside shivering in cold. In the morning, I found her lying on the bed tired, weak and blood smear on her lips. I untied her hands and gave her a glass of water to drink. I left the place. I was depressed. I failed as a boyfriend. I couldn't save my girlfriend from being raped. I wasn't that strong from inside to meet her eyes. I went to a Psychiatrist. I told him about my recent health issues, about my strange dreams and temporary memory loss. After few check ups he told me that I have schizophrenia and multiple personality disorder. I didn't believe him. I thought for a second opinion. I left the place. But I didn't stop my alcohol intake. I started taking drugs. I spent a lot of cash in buying heroin. After five months, I remember I took two injections of heroin in my forearm and I was overdosed. I went to the streets and walked abnormally unconsciously. I went to Vhani's house. The door was open. I found no one in the room. I went to the balcony to gaze at the stars. I found her standing there in front of me.
"Vhani?" I called out to her.
"Arjun?" she surprisingly asked.
"What the fuck are you doing?" I almost screamed.
And then she leaped from the balcony bidding be a good bye. I  stood there awestruck staring at the dead body of my girl friend. I was still not in sense properly. I came to the room, sat on the bed and tried to sleep. Suddenly a husky voice called my name.
"Arjun, so you came back. She died brother. I told her to die." the man with the husky voice said.
"Vishal? You destroyed my life. You killed my girl friend." I cried.
"Now you are going to die too." He said quietly.
And he grabbed my hand and swiped a scores of strokes on my forearm with a blade giving a nasty smile. I was trembling in pain but I felt myself tied up. Blood came out in turbulence. He looked at me, bid a good bye and left the place. I was in a deficit of energy. I rattled on the floor, desperately waiting for my energy to regain. I was weak, half dead and was breathing heavily. My eyelids resist to stay awake. I slept like a new born baby in the pool of blood.

The door bell rang more than a dozen. It made me awake. I pushed both my palms on the floor to rise up. I stood up, walked towards the door and squeezing my right eye I looked through the eye hole. No one was there. Even my room was empty. I washed my face and found the back side of my head to be paining. I rubbed some ice packs there to mitigate the pain. I went to the college in search of Vishal.
I was shocked when I found that his name was missing from the register. I came back home. I came to Vhani's room. Her roommates were unaware of this name. I tried to make them believe but they misunderstood me. They called me a freak. I twisted my arm to see the time. It was 11 'o' clock in the morning. I went to the telefilm directors for asking about my next character role.
"You will play the role of Vishal as usual." the director ordered me.
"What? Vishal? You know him?" I asked him.
" What I know him? You are Vishal. Mr.Arjun is Mr.Vishal in the telefilm industry." he replied in a irritated tone.
" But sir how can it be..." I exclaimed.
" Don't blabber here now. Your shoot will start from next Monday, 8:00 AM sharp." He said in a rude tone.

I was still disbelieving him. I came to Vhani's room again. I remember fitting a cctv camera here. It was just to keep an eye on her. Never thought that it would help me in anyway. I watched the recent footage of her. The night when she committed suicide.
I was shocked for a couple of minutes. I found myself talking with me. I held a blade on my right hand and gave a nasty smile. I swiped the blade a scores of time. Blood came out in turbulence. I was alone in the room. There was no other person except me. I fell down on the floor trembling in pain.I couldn't believe my eyes. I closed the door and returned to my house. I watched my face again, rubbing my face against my palm a lot number of times. I looked into the mirror. Few words strangled my neck. 'Multiple personality disorder' I remembered. Then who raped her? I went through a lot of flashbacks and there I found a face which was completely unknown to me. I remember that person unzipping his jeans. He was manly. He was not Vishal. There was no Vishal in reality. It was just me who was splitting the personality into two. I looked at my dull face, swelled up eyes and deserted lips. I caressed my cheek, accepting the fact that I'm a victim of Multiple personality disorder. I went to the balcony to gaze at the stars where I found a note lying on the floor. I read the note.
"You are still a naive to me. You won't search who struck your head with a rod and had used Vhani's scent?
            - Vishal."