Chapter 14.

My muscles proved useless as I lay paralyzed on the floor. Everything felt numb, except for the pulsating headache keeping me awake. It was too dark to make anything of my surrounding, but the sound of the kitchen's ticking clock gave me a clue.

With great pain I started flexing my fingers and toes, slowly urging control over my limbs again. It took a moment or two but I finally managed to sit up and from that height I located my phone sitting idly on the breakfast table. Besides them were my father's glasses.

Dad would never leave without his glasses.

"No... no, no, no... Mom!" A gurgling cry escaped my dry throat. Overcome by passion I got on both feet and took off running.

I first went up the stairs and directly to their bedroom. Empty.

My room. Empty.

Bathrooms. Empty.

Living room. Empty.

Basement, laundry room. Empty. Empty.

They were gone.

My feet dragged lazily with each aimless step I took, not knowing where I was going and the pain I had ignored now excruciating to deal with. On the kitchen floor I sat again. Hugging my knees close to my chest, wishing the nightmare would end.

Just then a light turned on. I shot my head up, quickly recognizing the source of the light to be my phone. Despite my achy joints I reached up and grabbed the electronic device off the table top. The screen flashed his name and I didn't hesitate for another second.

"Hello?" Answered Miles on the other side of the line.

"M-Miles! Please, I need your help come now! My-my-my p-parents-!"

He quickly cut me off, saying "I'm coming right now. Just stay on the phone." I nodded my head for it was all I could manage. "Can you explain what happened?"

"El... Ele-Electro... in-in-inside my house... he took them..." It was nearly impossibly to gather my thoughts, and a miracle to word them out. "How-How far?"

"I'll be there in less than a minute," Miles huffed out of breath. "House with the blue mailbox, right?"

Before hearing my answer there was a knock at the window above the kitchen sink. I rushed to the window and pulled it open, allowing the vigilante in red and black tights to enter.

The lights were still off so hopefully he couldn't see my tear-filled eyes. "How did you-?"

"I just so happened to be swinging around the neighborhood," Miles joked but his panting gave him away.

Catching his breath seemed the least of his worries. Miles pulled his mask off revealing those brown eyes stricken with concern. Our eyes locked and immediately my facade broke down, all the tears I've been fighting back poured out tenfold. Miles straightaway pulled me into his built arms, guiding me back down to the floor as though to rest my shaking body. I was never a pretty crier and this situation was nothing but embarrassing. Yet I somewhat felt safe and reassured in Miles' grasp.

"It's okay to hurt," he cooed while gently stroking my messy hair that had come undone from its bun. "I promise to find your parents and bring them back. You have my word."