"How exactly do you still have magic?" I turned to Jene.

"I shall explain in due course. At the present moment, we must attend to your family." Jene replied astutely.

"Okay, we'll go into the living room, so they don't suspect anything." I said as I took a step in that direction.

"All right, I'm going to put this in my room while I think about the whole hearts desire thing," Candy answered before glancing around her. "Why is nothing moving?"

"Jene stopped time." I said and her eyebrows rose.

"Right, well, I certainly didn't expect that." Candy gulped.

"Let's just get out of this room and then Jene can restart time." I swished a hand at her.

We left the formal dining room, making sure to shut all of the doors. Jene touched both of us and time rejigged itself. Candy dashed for the stairs and disappeared, while I turned to Jene.

"You look a little conspicuous." I pointed to his genie garb. As much as I loved the chance to stare at his chest, this outfit would get my parents talking for all of the wrong reasons.

"Easily fixed." Jene said, and when I blinked he was in casual clothes that made him look just as delicious.

"You need to hide the lamp too. If Bev sees that she's going to freak and think we went through her stuff."

"No problem." Jene insisted and I watched as the lamp turned invisible.

I said nothing more as I led Jene to the lounge room, sat down and turned on the television. Just as I went to ask Jene about how I could explain his presence, dad walked into the room.

"Hello, Isla, I saw your car outside." Dad grinned at me.

"Oh, Jene, how nice it is to see you again." Bev exclaimed with a smile, but it left me frowning.

"How do you know Jene?" I asked and Bev laughed.

"Have you forgotten that you brought him home for dinner not so long ago?" Bev chortled and shook her head at me.

"Ugh, yeah, it, uh, seems like ages ago." I answered lamely.

"I think you're studying too hard, dear," she came over and patted me on the head. "I'm going to get dinner ready. You two stay here and relax."

Both of them left us alone after Jene said his pleasant greetings to them. I wasn't sure what to think about anything that had happened today.

Leaning against Jene's side, I dragged in a breath. He was back in my world and that's what I chose to focus on. I had Jene back.

"I'm sorry I took so long to find your lamp." I said softly.

"Perhaps I am at fault for placing the lamp in the last place that you chose to look." He smiled at me and stroked a hand over my hair.

"Are you ever going to explain what's going to happen to us now?" I asked as I leaned into his touch.

"Let us finish here with your family and we shall discuss it this evening."

Jene refused to elaborate, so I let the dinner start while I just frowned at him. Candy rushed down to join us with the biggest grin on her face. She stood by the table and beamed at us.

"Did you get your hearts desire?" I asked as I set the cutlery on the table.

"Yes, and I returned the lamp. Harrison wasn't too happy about me refusing to help him, but he deserved what he got." Candy replied as she placed plates around the table.