Chapter 10. Talia

Start from the beginning

After some time, mommy went inside the room and sat on the bed. She patted the space beside her where I immediately went to. She was scary when she’d get upset so I tried to obey her as much as I could. When I sat down, I looked expectedly at her, waiting for an explanation or an instruction.

“This room is yours from now on Talia,” she said. “You’re going to be the princess of this country. Someday when I’m gone, you’ll be the queen.”

“But isn’t Cybele the princess mommy?” I asked with a frown. She made no sense and I didn’t understand anything. Mommy shook her head and stared hard at me with her grey eyes. I got those from her. A lot of people used to say that I looked like mommy. But Cybele would often tell me that I had kinder eyes and a beautiful smile which I got from my daddy who was dead. I believed Cybele. I always believed her.

 Mommy dusted something off from my shoulders. “Cybele is never going to come back Talia.” I couldn’t believe my ears. Mommy was playing a game right?

“Please don’t be mean mommy,” I said with a pout. “Cybele is the princess and she won’t go far away.”

Mommy gave me a strict look. “Everything I said was true Talia. Cybele is gone and so are her parents. From now on, I’m going to be the queen of this country. You are the princess and that’s final.”

I stood up from the bed and yelled. “Stop lying mommy!”

She slapped my cheek hard, making me fall on the floor. Tears formed in my eyes and I angrily brushed it with the back of my hand. Mommy stood up and glared down at me. She had that scary expression on her face again. “I’m not lying to you Talia. Cybele is dead. She won’t be coming back and you’re the princess now. Put that in your head.” She started to walk away and turned back to me. “Your training will start tomorrow.”

As mommy disappeared behind the door, I cried my eyes out. She was lying. I knew she was. Cybele wasn’t dead and she wouldn’t leave me like that. We promised to get married someday. I was going to be her bride. No, I wouldn’t believe them. I’d only believe Cybele.

Days passed quickly after that. Before I knew it, my thirteenth birthday has arrived. Nobles from all over the country went to the palace to celebrate with me. It was more like they were celebrating with my mother because no one dared speak to me anyway. Once they did, they’d always talk to me formally.

All those years, I never failed to miss Cybele. She was the only one I’ve ever loved and I was hoping against hope that she’d come to my birthday party. Another person by the name of Lance came instead. And I hated him with a passion.

“Come here Talia,” my mother commanded. I tore myself away from the novel I was reading and headed to my mother the queen. “What are you doing in the corner by yourself? This is your birthday party. You should talk to the nobles.”

“No thank you mother,” I said curtly. I always speak to my mother in a formal tone. Ever since the day that she lied to me about Cybele, I have never looked her in the eyes again and didn’t attempt to be close to her. How could I when she was a liar? Cybele would never ever leave me alone.

“Stand up straight and get rid of that annoying pout,” she said. “I have someone to introduce to you.” She called a young guy over, and he bowed courteously to me. “This is Lance,” she continued. “Know each other well because he is to be your husband when the time comes.”

I gave a small gasp. “There’s no way I’m going to marry him someday!” I angrily stormed off from the party. The guests were looking at me strangely but I didn’t care. How dare they pick someone else for me? Cybele was going to be my wife, not that ugly Lance.