Chapter Four

Chapter Four

The next day the company packed up their meager belongings and started on the long march southward and westward to their homeland. Before they headed off, Eirik woke Liara to tell her that they were leaving soon and if she wanted something to eat she’d better get it fast.

The morning air was cold, bringing to the company of soldiers their first taste of this winter’s chill. Liara went with Eirik to where the food was and then retreated back to the tent, telling him that she would rather eat alone where it’s warm.

He supposed she didn’t like all those eyes on her, either. He simply shrugged and continued to eat outside with his men. He was not about to make changes in his life because of a girl.

An hour later the dawn broke, and the captain checked one last time on the two big oxen they had brought on their journey. Their purpose was to pull a cart full of the soldiers’ battle gear, like their armor, and the material necessary for pitching their tents. The men carried their weapons in case of attack, but heavy metal armor on one’s body was not ideal for travel.

“Be ready! We move out within the hour!” Eirik hollered so all his men could hear him. As soon as everyone was ready and standing together, Rolf came to stand by his side. His unkempt blonde hair swayed from side to side as he scanned the company, seeming to be looking for something.

“What is it?” Eirik asked, terse and instantly alert incase of a threat.

Rolf turned to him and gave him a look only an old friend was allowed to give you. “Where is Liara?”

Eirik understood now, and his eyes scanned the crowd for her. He saw her nowhere, and he felt anger blossom in his chest. His decision to help this girl was proving to be extremely inconvenient. “Liara!” he bellowed. He felt more than saw everyone in the company tense. They knew when their captain was not jesting.

Suddenly, he saw a blonde head poke up from behind one of the oxen. She appeared to be brushing the creature and talking to it. Eirik supposed it was because she came from that strange northern country. “What?” she asked, her voice a bit defensive.

Some of the men eyed their captain warily, not sure how he would react to her very informal answer. However, he was simply glad she did not choose to run off at her first chance.

Liara made her way over to him and Rolf. She started speaking almost immediately. “Captain, I really must protest. I have no place among your people, why do you bring me along with you? I will only be a burden, please. Let me go off my own way, and you shall never be bothered by me again.”

Rolf watched his captain, wearing a look on his face that Eirik did not particularly like – almost as if he knew something Eirik did not. For reasons he did not quite understand, he stood his ground with the girl. Perhaps it was pride or something else. “No. You will march with us to Valdar. There your fate will be decided.”

Liara raised her eyebrows as if she did not like the idea of her fate being decided for her. He saw in this girl spirit, and that could be a good or a bad thing. “I will only slow you down,” she reiterated firmly.

She was a stubborn one, he would give her that. “Then that is a risk I am willing to take. I cannot have you running off on your own.”

She crossed her arms in front of her chest and looked the other way, effectively ending the conversation while also showing her disapproval of the situation.

“We move out!” Eirik yelled, signaling the beginning of their long and arduous journey home.