Ch. 18.1 Fighting for Na

Start from the beginning

"Razz, who are these guys?" Alex asked in wonderment.

"Male extremists. I am sorry. I had no idea they would harm you or Na." Razz turned to address the males. "Do you not realize that you will ruin everything? Destroy everything we have gained so far? Every female will turn against us and we will be slaves again."

"Not with a male government in power."

"There will be no male government. You do not have the ability to keep power even if you do establish one. This is insanity!" Razz shouted.

Alex pleaded with the nearest male extremists, "Please, let Na go. I'll die like you want. I don't care about living. Just let Na go. He's a good boy and won't say anything. He doesn't understand anyway."

"I'm sorry, but you forced this on us," one of the armed males replied.

"Fools. Kill the child and this freak will fly free and destroy you and your plans." Cla was her usual scornful self in dealing with males.

"No, she will not. She's our hero. She'll fight to the death for any chance to free the child. She'll be armed and free, so she sees hope. She will stay and fight you and look for a chance to free the child, no matter how slender."

"I hate being pegged," Alex muttered. One of the males handed her a dagger. "Aren't you brave, handing me a weapon."

"You're our hero," he told her calmly. "I'm not the one threatening to cut that child's throat. Execute those females like they deserve. Only you can save him."

Alex pursed her lips at the enigmatic words.

Perhaps these males aren't of one accord. I don't think this one wants Na to die.

"Cla, weapons up. The outcome of this fight is already known. Let's see how you face defeat."

"Like a warrior. I will carve out your heart first," Cla said.

"Maybe. Enjoy it for the whole thirty seconds you'll live after that," Alex replied.

I want that killing power NOW! Cla murdered one of Gabe's babies and his other son will have his throat sliced if I don't win!

Target acquired.

The robotic voice filled Alex with liquid power, running like molten gold from her head to her fingertips.

Again, her vision sharpened to three times its usual acuity and her reflexes practically trembled with their new speed. An insane laugh bubbled from her lips.

"I'm going to kill you, Cla, and I'm going to enjoy it." Alex's grin twisted her mouth and insanity burned in her eyes.

Cla hesitated only a moment before charging Alex. Alex twisted her torso, deliberately at the last moment, and deliberately only a few inches to frustrate Cla.

Alex laughed her insane laugh again and stood, waiting. This time Cla circled slowly.

"Scared, egg-sucker?" Alex turned to watch Cla, now able to see her subtlest motions. "Not the high and mighty warrior now, are you? Just the shamed loser of an overthrown Kuni. I killed her, too. Remember?"

Quick as a snake, Cla lunged and again, Alex twisted to evade, but this time Cla's sword skimmed her chest.

Na shrieked in fear and the distraction cost Alex.  Cla was on her and Alex met her sword for sword. Cla was heavier and stronger, so Alex suddenly ducked to the side, hoping to overbalance the huge reptile.

Cla had only one misstep before she regained her balance and swung her sword in a tremendous arc. Alex's enhanced reflexes and vision saved her from being cut in two.

Cla circled and bent for something. Alex was quick to close the distance, sword raised for an overhand strike, but Cla stood before she could reach her, spear in hand.

She drove it into Alex's side.

Alex sank to her knees. Cla grabbed the spear and shoved it deeper, driving Alex backwards and pinning her to the ground. Alex screamed and writhed.

Cla knelt on her chest and put her dagger to her throat. Alex shouted a denial and blasted Cla with ruby light. Cla landed a foot away, unmoving.

Alex blasted her own side with white light, the pain receding somewhat. She searched the circle of faces, finding the leader of the extremists.

"Let me say goodbye to Na and Razz. I can't survive this." Alex was glad that no blood bubbled on her lips because it meant that the spear was in her belly, not her lungs.

Razz and Na rushed over and knelt by her.

"Razz, take the spear out," Alex said.

He hesitated.

"Please, it's okay."

She cried out as he pulled it free while Na clutched her neck.

"Help me sit up."

Razz pulled on her uninjured side as she clung to Na. In a second, they were gone.

Alex was never so glad that whatever gave her the power to fly didn't depend on her general health, unlike her neuro-electric power.

She sped, unseen, for the usual distance for a speed burst, and skimmed below the treetops when she dropped to normal speed.

Only when she felt consciousness fading did she land.

"Razz, are we far enough away?" Alex slumped to the ground, holding her bleeding side.

"For now."

"Take Na to safety."

"I will not leave you." Razz supported her and tried to staunch the blood.

"No, Tia, we won't." Na gripped her tighter.

"I'm sorry, but I'm leaving you. Razz, take care of him."

"Like he was one of my own children. They are half siblings, after all."

"No, Tia, don't die." Na sobbed and hugged her neck tighter.

Before Alex could answer, the thin slit of light appeared.

"Really? Now? You couldn't have shown up an hour ago?" she grumbled at it while Razz and Na stared.

A tiny part of her brain remembered that great evil had to Call the Portal Guardian to a certain world and time awash in the many timelines. "This is the way back to my world. Na, you stay here with Razz, if you wish. He'll be good to you."

"No, Tia, I'm coming with you."

"You will need help." Razz looped Alex's arm over his neck.

"Stay here, raise your children, help this world. Shove me through the light. It'll do the rest. I'll be home and safe with medical care," Alex lied.

I'm not sure I'll live, but at least Na will be with Gabe, some Gabe.

Razz did as she said. Alex stumbled through the portal, clutching Na's hand. She fell and landed at the feet of an astonished Gabe.

"Gabe, meet your son," she gasped.

The world went black.

***

A/N:

Where do you think the portal is taking Alex?

Which Gabe do you think the Portal Guardian will deliver Na to?

Dedicated to

theblackrose29

Reader author and one of those heroic people writing in English even though not first language!

If you enjoyed the chapter, please consider clicking the star below