27. Onto the Next

Start from the beginning

As he grabbed onto the bar with his hands, then flipping over to land on his feet, right side up once more, he reached down and wiped his face and neck with the small cloth. He couldn't think of how to say goodbye to her. Then he thought, it won't be the last time I see her, right? Why does this feel so final?

He knew he would see her again. Just not everyday anymore.

_____

"Hi," Quinn let out a long breath, allowing her tense shoulders to drop as she entered the room full of her teammates.

They all looked over at her.

"Ready to go?" Rhodes asked her.

She took a few more steps into the room, "not yet," she said, treading lightly and almost hesitantly, "I just wanted to say a few words for you guys before I go."

She held everybody's attention and they awaited her to begin. Her eyes shyly lifted from the floor to connect with all of theirs.

"I, um, I just wanted to thank you guys. You know, for everything." She said, bringing a few subtle smiles to their faces. It was a bit awkward for her but they all could pick up on the sincerity.

Quinn's side leaned against the wall as she crossed her arms in front of her, letting a breath go, as if allowing her wall to come down for just a second.

"You know, growing up it was always just me and my mom. I never really knew what it was like to be in a full house." She spoke to them a bit comfortably, finally bringing her eyes up to meet theirs. "I guess what I'm trying to say is," she paused, "you guys are the closest I've ever come to having a family."

Heartfelt smiles were exchanged all around.

Sam, who was standing nearest her, strode over and engulfed her into a hug.

"Oh," she froze, taken aback at first, but then reaching up to put an arm around him. Before she knew it they were all in line to embrace her.

Sam gave her a warm smile as he pulled away. Vision was next, changing his density to that almost human.

"You are to do great things, Quinn. That is fact," he said, in his typical Vision way, making her chuckle slightly as she pulled away from him.

Rhodey was next. Quinn had never experienced this amount of physical affection. It astounded her that they all seemed to have their own unique ways of hugging.

"I'm sure I'll see you around," Rhodes said.

"I'm counting on it," Quinn said as Nat nearly pushed Rhodes out of the way and pulled her in aggressively.

"Call us," Nat said as she hugged Quinn, "if you're ever in a bind."

"Or just--not busy," Wanda said, giving a kind smile to her friend as she replaced Nat next.

"I will," Quinn said to both women. 

Quinn took a second just to look at them, their smiling faces, supportive and true. They were her friends, family and what felt like her home. That whole evening, Quinn spent restlessly wondering if she was making the right choice. But clearly they believed she was doing the right thing and quite frankly, they mattered to her.

Then she realized, there was one more goodbye she needed to make.

"Have you guys seen Rogers?" Quinn asked.

"He was helping the third line of defense train earlier. Probably somewhere outside." Sam told her.

Quinn gave a slow nod. "I'll go look for him, I have a few spare minutes."