34: Luca

It was a few days after the delivery of Luca Kirstein.

You and Jean cherished him and loved him more than words could describe. His skin was softer than anything you've ever felt, his eyes were a deep green colour, and although he barely had any of it, his hair was a lovely shade between dirty blonde and brown. He took a lot from Jean.

You were still going through recovery. The baby had taken an enormous toll on your body. You also gained weight, and couldn't wait to get rid of it once you were healthier. But, You worried about expeditions you might miss out on. It would be a while before you could go out on them.

But the real question and concern of the moment, was about Luca.

What is he?

You, Mikasa, Armin and Jean spent lots of time researching at your house, going book to book, trying to add things up.

"He eats normally, he doesn't have any health issues, he looks human. He could very well just be human, and it was my body that was acting up, not his." You concluded.

"There's no way to tell for sure. You look very normal, you eat normal, and you don't have health issues. But you can still turn into a titan." Armin countered.

"Would a DNA test tell us anything?" Jean asked.

Mikasa looked up at Armin. He raised his eyebrows. "Possibly."

"But Luca is only a few days old. I don't know whether they'll perform a blood test on a baby that young." Mikasa stated.

"What about Eren and I? Has there been any way to prolong our lives? I need it now more than anything." You asked.

Mikasa shook her head. "No massive conclusions."

You and Jean looked at each other. You hung your head and sighed. "God, what have I done."

"[Y/N], nothing's on you. Stop being so harsh on yourself." Jean rubbed your back.

You heard knocking on your door. Jean rushed to open it and see who it was. Hange invited herself in.

"I need a skin sample from you." She rushed towards you.

"What?" You hollered.

"I need a skin sample. I may have done something." Hange stated. She was in huge rush.

Jean, Mikasa and Armin looked at each other, shocked.

You held your arm out for Hange as she picked the smallest piece of skin from your finger.

"I also need one from your baby." Hange exclaimed.

"Why?" Jean asked, defensive.

"I'm reaching a peak moment in my research. I need to compare the skin. I can tell you if the baby is fully human or not after that." Hange explained.

You looked at Jean and he gave you a look of approval.

You hated to wake up your boy and put him through the tiniest of pain, but you needed to know. You rushed up the stairs and slowly, carefully picked up your baby. You brought him downstairs to Hange, and she performed whatever she needed on him.

Luca let out the tiniest whimpers, likely because of the fact that he was awoken.

"I'll be back later." Hange said as she packed her stuff and left.

You turned around and everyone looked at each other in awe.

"What just happened?" Armin asked.

"She's close to something." Mikasa figured.