Kpop VS. Apop

Alana Jacobs

US Literature

Mr. Murphy

3 June 2014

Korean Pop Music (Kpop) vs. American/English Pop Music (Apop)

In the USA today, many assume that certain age groups and/or ethnicities are all meant to listen to the same style of music, but that is not always the case. A music genre known as Kpop, short for Korean pop music, is growing into popularity all over the world. Some assume that the music may be in a different language but the system is similar to music artists here in America, but they are far from similar. There are many different aspects those in the Kpop industry face that Apop artists, short for American or English speaking artists, do not have to deal with. This essay will show you some examples of what Kpop singers have to deal with in contrast with Apop singers.

The way most people get discovered in America is through social media sites or singing competitions locally or on TV. Korea has opportunities like that too, but that is not the most popular way to get discovered. The most popular way is going through an audition process held by a company one hopeful is applying for. Normally in American culture, media does not always talk about or mention the singers company directly, but many Kpop fans will know what specific company their favorite singers come from. The three biggest entertainment companies in Korea are SM Entertainment, YG Entertainment, and JYP Entertainment. Some of the biggest bands in the Kpop world come from these companies, but they did not start off big. A majority of the idols, the singers, went through audition processes through the company. Most companies hold auditions every weekend in both Korea and in popular cities around the world at their specific headquarters there. The basic audition process can go two ways; one way is to go to the company building and auditioning. The audition process is a bit different then what American auditions are like. Most hopefuls will file out an audition registration beforehand which auditioners still can do, but some can even register on the spot if needed. Instead of just one person going up in front of judges and auditioning, companies will put multiple people, sometimes even ten at a time, up and have them audition together. Those who show individuality and character will likely be remembered by the judges and possibly be given a callback and chance to become a trainee. For those who don't live near the audition building, auditioners can send in audition videos. They must do an introduction in both their native language and Korean and must include a singing clip, dancing clip, and possibly even an acting clip. There are many Kpop idols that have auditioned for a certain company and didn't make it through and then tried for another company. Auditioners can audition for the same company more than once or can even try for a different company, this way people can advance in their skills and try to impress the judges another time.

Once an auditioner has been accepted by the company, they are then referred to as trainees. Trainees are given certain privileges and care from the company. Most trainees are still young and in school, so companies will either let them continue to stay with their families or they will be given a dorm with other accepted trainees near the companies building. If the trainee is Korean, they are sent to a nearby school to continue their education and stay close to the company. If the trainee is not Korean, they are sent to a specific foreign school to continue their education comfortably in their native language. Trainees are given at least $100 a week, depending on the company, and given basic needs like food, shelter, education, clothes, etc.

All Kpop fans know that one issue in the Kpop world is the rigorous schedule the idols and trainees face. During the week, trainees get up at around 6am to head off to their school. Once school ends, they go down to their companies building to begin their daily training. The exact training schedule itself can vary from company to trainee, depending on what they are training to become and the company's policies, but the basic daily training can consist of vocal training, dance lessons, acting classes, and even language training. Practices can go on for 6-10 hours or more with few breaks in between. Trainees sometimes can get home to their dorm or families around midnight or later and still have to go to school at 6am the next day. Trainees are allowed to miss very few practices. Some idols have admitted to hiding in their dorms to avoid going to practice because of the difficult training. They are also taught how to act on camera and on TV shows and what to say during interviews and radio shows. Bands even work on their reactions with each other, how to laugh when another member is being funny without making it look fake, is one way they practice their reactions.