Welcome to the Family.

Chapter One – Welcome to the Family.

July 27th 1998 – Raccoon City High School.

I was helping out in the library when the Principle came and summoned me. Her facial features didn't give anything away. I couldn't possibly be in trouble, could I? That was definitely not a possibility. I followed my Principle in complete silence. She did nothing but occasionally check to see if I was still behind her.

Upon our arrival at her office she beckoned me in with her. A man in black suit stood outside the office door. He didn't say a word and his head slightly tipped down and his hands clasped together in front of him, waist level. We entered the office and I was then greeted by two men. A tall man in full black uniform with a gas mask concealing his face and a shorter male in a navy suit clutching a briefcase that stood on my Principles desk.

"Thank you, Miss Devine, you may leave us now." The suited man spoke, before offering me the seat in front of the desk opposite him. Miss Devine left promptly. At first, I hesitated to sit down, confused as to what was happening but I did as I was instructed, my hands fumbling in my lap slightly, my gaze anywhere else but the two seemingly menacing men.

"So, your name is Samantha Robertson, you're twelve years of age and your IQ is 137. My, my, what a clever girl your father raised."

"How do you know about me? Who are you?" I asked, almost timidly.

"Where are my manners? My name is Patrick. I am Oswell E. Spencer's butler at his estate in the Arklay Mountains. You have been chosen to participate in an internship for Mr Spencer at his estate. Due to your high IQ and the fact you graduated top of your Biology and Chemistry classes, we fell as though you be perfect to join our very select family at Umbrella Incorporated."

I noted that he had completely ignored my question about my father. I decided not to ask again, I instead asked;

"What exactly would I be doing for you?" I brought my gaze up to meet the elder males.

"Well that is to be decided by Mr Spencer upon your arrival at the Estate. You will be living there until your internship is terminated. An internship is usually about two years in length but Mr Spencer may offer you a full time position at the facility upon completion."

I paused for a moment, now deep in thought.

Pro – I wouldn't have to leave Raccoon City.
Con – I'd probably be the only kid there...
Pro - I'd have a job.
Con – No money to show for it...

Hmm... how often do people get chances like this? It's also not like I'd have anybody to say goodbye to...

"When do we leave?" I asked, a small smile curving onto the left side of my mouth.

"I'll take that as a yes then." Patrick asked with a soft chuckle, to which I nodded once. "Then let us proceed to your new home. Don't worry about your belongings as they'll be retrieved at a later date."

At his words he picked up the briefcase and headed around the desk. I stood up and followed him out. We exited to office just as the school bell rang which signalled lunchtime. The other guard from outside the door joined us too. Hordes of students piled out of their classrooms and noisily bustled past us. A few students noticed me with the three men and the instantly recognizable logo of the red and white Umbrella on the mercenary with us and on Patrick's briefcase.

"She's leaving with Umbrella?"
"Really? What's so special about her?"

Ignoring any remarks I walked out of the school without looking back. Sat outside where two black limousines. Patrick led me to the second one whilst the two other guards got into the first one. Patrick opened the door for me and I was hit with the smell of new leather. They mustn't use these cars much... I sat next to the window on the right side, thanking Patrick, and he sat on the left side leaving a seat between us.

"Nobody to say goodbye to?" Patrick asked curiously, motioning to the driver with his fingers to follow the other car.

"No, thankfully. Makes this whole thing a lot easier. I am, however, rather anxious."

"I can remember my first day at the estate. I felt exactly the same as you do now. Everybody mostly keeps themselves to themselves though. Mr Spencer is a very charming man. Nothing to be scared of. Plus, I'll be in the room at the same time as your interview with him so you'll at least have one somewhat familiar face with you. I know I don't know you personally and vice versa but it may help you a little."

"It does help a little." I admit, "I'm only anxious about meeting everyone I'll be working beside."

"You're the only intern we've ever taken on. Mr Spencer is a very particular man. Extremely hard to please so for you to catch his eye at such a young age is truly amazing."

I found it odd that I had been tracked by Umbrella even after my father had passed away. I suppose that way nobody would've hurt me whilst under their ever watchful eye. The rest of the drive to the estate in the middle of nowhere was silent on my part. Patrick answering the odd phone call from the workers and one from who u assume was Mr Spencer.

"Yes sir, she's alright. Nervous, but good. We shall be arriving at the complex in around five minutes. Alright sir, very good."

"Where are we?" I asked absentminded watching out of my window at all the foliage. Acres and acres of it.

"Arklay Mountains my dear. That's all I can tell you until Mr Spencer has spoken with you." Patrick explained politely, tucking his phone back into his breast pocket. I nodded and watched as a large building came into view. It was bigger than any other building I had ever seen. This couldn't be the place, right? But I hadn't seen anything else but trees for miles... The car indeed pulled into the long driveway which led to a large front door. My mouth agape I stepped out of the car and Patrick came around from the other side of the car to join me. He led me up the steps and into the grand entrance hall. I took a second to drink in my new surroundings.

There in front of me was a stunning staircase that led to the upper levels of the sprawling mansion. The floor was a beautiful grey marble with a small red carpet that ran up the staircase. It had such a regal feeling to it and I instantly felt out of place there.

"What do you think, Samantha?" Patrick asked me, placing a hand on my shoulders and leading me towards the dining room.

"It's... breath taking..." I whisper as Patrick opens the large door to the dining room where I'd be having my interview with Mr Spencer. Again the attention to detail was not missed in here. The floor was marble too but a checked pattern that matched the design of the room perfectly.

"Please take a seat, Mr Spencer will be with you momentarily. Welcome to our Umbrella family." Patrick said, heading out of the dining room to a door on the right.

I shyly sat on the left hand side of the vast dining table taking in a few deep breaths to steady my nerves which were threatening to show in the form of shaking. I drew my attention to the stunning coat of arms above the fireplace, studying it curiously.

"Ah! Welcome to my estate Miss Robertson! I was wondering when I'd get to meet the youngest genius to join our family!" A voice from the doorway on the right sounded.

Mr Spencer!

I jumped slightly but stood up instantly to greet them.

"It's truly an honour sir!" I declare, my face slightly flushed with shyness.

"Thank you, my dear. Please, be seated, we have much to discuss."

He was a lot older than I had anticipated. A burgundy and purple robe donned his upper body whilst grey jogging bottoms and slippers covered the rest of him. Wispy white hair tucked behind his ears and his appearance was slightly frail. He looked more like a kindly grandfather... I took my seat once more and neatly tucked myself under as Patrick helped Mr Spencer into his seat at the head of the table.

"Now Miss Robertson, I hear that you're the best your school has to offer in Biology and Chemistry?"

"That is correct, sir." I tell him, shyly.
"IQ 137... graduated age twelve with A+'s in science..." Spencer spoke slowly, reading from a piece of paper. Obviously all my information... "You're the smartest child I think I've come across in all my years in this business. If your late father had anything to do with it, we would never have met."

"Yes well... my father was very protective of me. I'd like to think he'd be proud of me for taking this step in my life."

"I'm certain he would be. Now, onto your part here. You'll be staying in a private room above the labs for the time being until we can find a place for you in the living quarters. We're testing you out as the head of a small pharmaceutical division. You'll be working alongside two other people. Dr William Birkin and Dr Annette Birkin. They're working on a new product called Adravil. It's a new type of muscle ointment that we're hoping to perfect within three months. With your scientific mind and both of the Birkin's working with you I am confident you'll do the job within the allotted time,"

This was A LOT to take in. I was nervous about meeting my two new colleagues and worried that I wouldn't be able to finish the task on time.

"Now, let Patrick escort you to the labs. I'll make sure your room is prepared. Good luck, Miss Robertson."

"Thank you sir, I'll make sure that your product is of the highest quality." I told him confidently.

With a simple smile in my direction, Spencer left the dining room and I left the way I came in with Patrick. After several doors and corridors we arrived at an elevator that would take us down to the labs. A short ride under the vast mansion. This was all very overwhelming to me. The elevator doors slid open and a bright white light broke my focus on the thought and I squinted.

"Don't worry miss, you'll get used to that." Patrick reassured me gently, stepping out of the elevator first. I followed him, my eyes adjusting quickly.

We approached a small white room with large windows on all sides, the signature Umbrella logo proudly displayed on the sliding doors. Patrick used a card key to gain access into the small laboratory.

"Doctor William Birkin? How are you this afternoon?" Patrick asked kindly.

"Very well thank you sir. Oh... who is this?" he asked curiously, putting his pen down on his clipboard and swivelling around fully in his chair to give me all of his attention.

"Doctor Birkin, this is Samantha Robertson. She's the newest head of department."

"Head of Department? She's ten..." he scoffed.

"Actually, I'm twelve. I'm also a lot smarter than you'd initially think. I have an IQ of 137 and graduated top of my science class with A+ in both Biology and Chemistry. I'm more than capable of taking charge of two people."

Doctor Birkin looked slightly taken aback by my words.

"Where should we begin?" he asks, sitting up in his chair a little bit.

"We've been tasked with completing the Adravil product within three months. I need you to come up with an ointment base for me please." I instruct.

"I'll go and grab the list of ingredients." Doctor Birkin said standing and exiting the laboratory.

"Good work, Miss Robertson. I can see you'' fit in perfectly down here. Keep it up, I'll be back to check on you in an hour."

"Thank you, Patrick." I smile at him and he leaves swiftly. I begin setting up the equipment and await Doctor Birkin's return.

This was going to be interesting...

End of Chapter One.