February 15th 2014

February 15th 2014

Troy watched in horror as they electrocuted her now limp body. Emily was shaking beside him and Aris looked greener than usual.

"Come on Ella", he whispered even though there was a glass separating them, even though she was dying.

No amount of words, phrases, sentences could describe the amount of anger, desperation, frustration and grief he felt at the moment. The clock seemed to tick slower, and slower until the hands seemed perfectly still. The whole hallway was dimmer, even though bright sunlight was streaming in from one of the rooms' windows.

So this was his story. A boy who had fallen in love with someone whom he thought would never fall in love with him. A boy who was lost but was resurrected by someone whom he never thought would be able to save him. A boy who watched his woman's body lie bloody and splattered on the asphalt as his eyes stung with tears he could never shed. A boy who was now weeping silently outside the glass door as he watched that very woman's body jolt with electricity but never jerk to life.

"Troy..."

"I don't want to hear it", he snapped, not removing his eyes from her. There was still hope. There was a weak and shaky line on the heart monitor with bumpy crests and troughs, but it was still there, barely alive like the hope he was containing within himself. The doctors all wore grim expressions as they increased the current and tried once more. The line picked up, but fell flat again, this time seemingly closer to the horizontal axis.

A tear slid down his cheek, the first one he had let go in three years. He hadn't ever cried. Not when his heart was broken for the first time, not when his best friend killed himself, not when his sister would cry herself to sleep every night and he could do nothing about it. Not even when his mother's body was finally found. But now he was crying and he couldn't stop himself. He was watching her go and it was probably the hardest thing he had ever done.

As predicted, the line fell flat and didn't rise again. The doctors removed their masks and disconnected the shock treatment apparatus. All the wires that were previously hooked onto her body were slowly removed as a part of his soul was slowly ripped from his conscience.

"Troy..." Aris started but the rest of the sentence fell on deaf ears. Troy turned away sharply and walked down the corridor.