Crouch had returned, looking white. "I do not understand. She could not have conjoured the Mark... she would have to have a wand...."

"She had one," said Diggory, giving him Harry's wand. "Apparently it's this boy's." He pointed at Harry. "I found her holding one. If it's all right with you, Mr. Crouch, I think we should hear what she's got to say for herself." He pulled out his own wand and pointed it at the elf. "Renervate!"

Winky blinked awake, and her brown eyes travelled slowly from Diggory, to Crouch, to the Dark Mark in the sky. Then she burst into tears.

"Winky!" Ruby cried worriedly, rushing towards her, but Edward caught her.

"Wait," he whispered.

"Elf," said Diggory sharply. "Do you know who I am? I'm a member of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures!"

Winky rocked backward and forward on the ground, sobbing harder.

"As you see, elf, the Dark Mark was conjured here a short while ago. And you were discovered moments later, right beneath it! An explanation, if you please!"

"I -- I -- I is not doing it, sir!" Winky gasped. "I is not knowing how, sir!"

"It wasn't her!" Ruby said angrily to Diggory, who blinked at her. "The voice was all low, and Edward said it was definitely a man!"

"Winky," Edward said quietly to her, "did you see anyone?"

Winky blinked at him, still crying. "I -- I is seeing no one, sir."

She's lying. Orders from Crouch...?

"Amos," said Crouch coldly, "I am fully aware that, in the ordinary course of events, you would wnat to take Winky into your department for questioning. I ask you, however, to allow me to deal with her."

Diggory frowned but nodded. Clearly Crouch was important.

"You may rest assured that she will be punished," said Crouch, even more coldly.

"M-m-master," Winky rasped. "M-m-master, please..."

Crouch stared back at her, no pity in his gaze. Ruby looked furious.

"WInky has behaved tonight in a manner I would not have believed possible," he said very slowly. "I told her to remain at the tent. I told her to stay there while I went to sort out the trouble. And I find that she disobeyed me. This means clothes."

"I'll take her!" Ruby cried suddenly. Everyone stared at her. "I'll take Winky," she said defiantly to Crouch. "How much?"

"How much?" he asked icily, looking at her like she was insane. Edward narrowed his eyes at him.

"Three hundred galleons!" Ruby said fiercely.

"You are a child," said Crouch coldly. "You do not need a-"

"Five hundred galleons!" The Ministry wizards stared at her.

"Five hundred..." Crouch frowned. "When will you pay?"

Ruby hesitated, and Edward spoke up quietly. "Mr. Weasley could bring you the money tomorrow at the Ministry, when he goes in to work, and take Winky back to his house at the end of the day; we're all staying with the Weasleys."

"I can do that," Mr. Weasley agreed nervously.

"Very well," said Crouch, as Winky still sobbed quietly, "I agree."

"Well," said Mr. Weasley quickly, "I think I'd better take my lot back to the tent, if nobody's got any objections. Amos, If Harry could have his wand back, please...."

Very reluctantly, Diggory handed Harry his wand, and Harry pocketed it.

When they got back to the tents, Charlie emerged from the boys', frowning. He looked relieved when he saw George and the others.

"Good," said Charlie as they approached, "Fred, Topaz, and Onyx were freaking out."

Draco, Topaz, Onyx, Ginny, and the three other Weasley boys were huddled around the table, white-faced, when they entered. Fred and Ruby's brothers leaped up when they saw them and attacked, squeezing George and Ruby in their arms.

"We were worried," said Topaz, as he and Onyx releases their sister, "that you'd..." he trailed off.

"Did you get them?" Bill asked as they all sat down. "The person who conjured the Mark?"

"No," said Mr. Weasley tiredly. "We found Barty Crouch's elf holding Harry's wand, but we're none the wiser about who actually conjured the Mark."

Everyone gasped, and Edward interrupted with exhaustion in his tone.

"Can those who already know what happened go back to sleep?" he groaned. Onyx snickered.

"Right," said Mr. Weasley with embarrassment. "You six can head off to bed."

"Can I stay until my mother comes to get me?" Draco asked in a small voice.

Mr. Weasley gave him a concerned look. "Of course. Would you like to take someone's bed?"

"He can have mine," said George. "I don't want to sleep until Fred does."

"Thanks," said Draco quietly. Edward showed him where George's bed was, then crashed onto the mattress beside Harry, instantly falling asleep.