Ch. 17.3 A&B Camping with Na

Start from the beginning

Alex wondered again just which Gabe they would meet. She was pulling for the older one, the one she considered hers. She prayed that was what the Portal Guardian intended.

The older Gabe would be a fabulous father. Maybe that's the Portal Guardian's purpose for me in that timeline: bring my Gabe a son and raise him together. Can I have a fairy tale ending where we all lived happily ever after? Even if I don't deserve it, this innocent child does.

"I'll make him proud of me." Na's voice roused her out of her thoughts.

"Don't worry about that." Alex kissed him. "I'm proud of you already. Look at you, keeping us alive in the woods by finding food. I know he'll be proud, too."

***

The next several days were spent in a similar manner: sleeping, swimming, eating, talking. Alex tried to find out what was going on in the Anolis world, but children don't keep track of politics.

She told him what she could about life at home, about Gabe, Rile, and Cale, but not his potential cousins.

Alex wasn't sure to which world the Portal Guardian would send them, despite her hopes to return to the alternate timeline.

Alex told lots of stories about Gabe, Cale, and Rile, and Na never tired of hearing them. Alex also discussed Zilik and Razz. She wanted Na to be familiar with them, in case she had to send him to them. She wondered what they were doing.

***

PART B

Razz and Zilik were having their own troubles

Razz and Zilik were having their own troubles. The Council President dressed them down, tail lashing in fury as he recounted all the political difficulties that Alex had brought down them.

"Of all the irresponsible actions: The great symbol of the revolution running off and kidnapping a child, a child by my egg's shell. No honor. No challenge. Just sneaky, dirty kidnapping. This is your fault. You were supposed to keep her under control. What are we supposed to do now?"

Razz snapped back. "What does the inscription on Alex's statue say? It says 'She fought for freedom for all', that is what it says. That includes children. You and I both know that one of her sleep-mate's children was murdered by Cla and the other was being abused. You cannot expect Alex to stop being what she is because it is politically inconvenient for us."

"If you're quite finished with your self-righteous speech, you had better find her and stop her from 'being what she is.' Those Anolis females will kill her if they find her first. I don't need to tell you what a long, painful, and bloody death it will be. Your 'symbol' is destroying all the progress you males have made and she will end up as nothing but a dead traitor," the Council President retorted and a particularly vigorous sweep of his tail sent a chair crashing across the room.

"Not to the males."

"That won't do you any good if the females that have been working with you turn on you. Zilik, talk some sense into him."