"hey, hey, hey..." he hushed while caressing her cheek with his metal hand, "everything is going to be alright, sweetheart. just listen to my voice."

with his other hand, he intertwined his fingers with alexa's, running his thumb smoothly against the back of her hand.

"can you take a deep breath for me, doll?" he whispered. bucky heard the inhale alexa took, him smiling softly to himself.

"great job," bucky said as he continued to caress her cheek, "now let it out slowly."

"hon, you're doing so well. keep focusing on your breathing."

she repeated the cycle multiple times, steadily regaining air while she concentrated on his voice. once she felt that her arms and legs had stopped prickling, she sat with her legs crossed, raising her head to meet bucky's eyes that were filled with worry.

he kept stroking her cheek with his metal hand, running his thumb under her eye to stop tears from rolling off her cheek. she quickly took in his appearance as she leaned into his touch. she guessed he most likely woke up from his nightmares as well, noticing the prominent dark circles shadowed under his eyes and his disheveled hair.

with all the strength she had, she reached up and wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling him into a hug as she buried her head in the crook of his neck.

bucky still gets shocked at the action, but that never stops him from immediately responding and enveloping his arms around her torso, drawing alexa closer to him. for the first time in the two months they've known each other, he kissed her temple tenderly.

gently holding her in his arms, bucky helped her stand up and onto the barstool, keeping her in his embrace as he stood in between her legs. with his right hand, he carefully ran his fingers through her hair, just like she would to him after a nightmare.

"do you wanna talk about it doll?" he softly said, close to her ear.

alexa sighed deeply, taking in his scent as a sob tried to itch its way up her throat.

"it's stupid. i-im scared." alexa muttered under her breath as her lip began to quiver. bucky pulled away slightly, scanning alexa's face with concern.

"it's not stupid. why are you scared hon? what's goin on?"

"nat s-said it'd never happen but, what happens if they f-find me? they m-might torture me... o-oh my god they're going to k-kill me, aren't they?"

"no, no, don't say that." bucky said as he gently cupped the sides of her cheeks to make alexa look at him.

"the entire team is your family. they'll protect you and they'll never let them take you... i'd never let them take you."

she looked at the floor, then back up at him. she gave him a small smile, and a timid thank you. she started to slide off the counter, however, before her feet were able to touch the ground, bucky had swept alexa up in his arms, carrying her bridal style down the silent halls of their floor, all while steve was soundly sleeping.

"why are you carrying me?" alexa asked, a smile on her face. bucky and alexa were internally grateful it was dark in the hallway, a blush spreading across their faces.