Her Good-Bye

*AUTHOR'S NOTE: Dedicated this chapter to hotnesskidukan  for the amazing cover :) Thanks so much!

The camera flashes, blinding, yet giving me something to help lead me through the dark. A microphone is pressed to my lips, more lights, questions flooding my ears. Only one thing could escape through my tight lips and clenched jaw...

"Leaving her was the biggest mistake I ever made.

And I've made plenty of them.

But this is, by far, the WORST one I've ever lived through."

--

My Dearest,

I'm sorry, but I can't handle this anymore. You saw the way I am, and yet you chose to love me. You told me I was beautiful, even when I was incomplete. You told me I was yours, even though she clearly had you first. You said that she wasn't as amazing as I was, scars and all.

I'm broken. You couldn't see that, even when I told you. You chose to see me as a whole being, rather than the washed up and bruised rag that I am.

I envy you. You, who is so beautiful both in body and in soul. In mind and in heart. In being, and in all. You, who is smart, averaging to be the smartest in the school. Top ten in the country? How did I ever get so lucky to have such an intelligent boyfriend? You, who is generous, and held me when I broke down and cried. I fell asleep in your arms, and you carried me home, even though it was pouring rain outside. You covered me with your jacket. You, who is humble, and politely says thank you to any compliment that comes your way, only to respond with truthful kindness to their words. You, who has the biggest heart, because he loved someone like me.

You deserve better than what I could give you. Not just you alone, but anyone else who's life has ever crossed paths with mine.

So, I have to thank you for giving me your heart, but consider this me giving it back for you to wrap up and send to someone else who's good enough.

I love you, and please don't ever doubt that.
So, this is my goodbye. A sweet, loving, but difficult goodbye...

Sincerely yours,
Kaila xoxo

--

"Then she said, 'Theo, you are ON FIRE!'" I pause and look at the humored guys' faces. "Turns out, I was sitting a little too close to the campfire..." They all begin to guffaw at my account of this weekend's hook up at the camp.

"You''re an idiot" I hear Chace say next to me.

"Yeah, well" I say, "That's why the ladies love me."

I chug down the whole bottle of beer, as I usually do, and slam it down on the table. Something isn't right here....

I can feel my eyes scan the room, the booths and tables, the few drunken bodies splashed around the bar... and then I see her.

Black hair down to her waist. It falls in waves, her bangs hanging just above her eyes. She leaned against the window, watching with a blank expression all the rain droplets trail down the window.

"Yo, dude. What the hell you staring at?" Jason demands, a couple stools over.

I look up, and I find myself staring into his face. He's hideously gorgeous for a guy. He's got those looks that if you looked at him from a distance, a girl would say he's cute. Up close, a girl faints right into his arms. Lucky moron.