Chapter 4

The next morning when Dovewing woke up small tendrils of regret and worry seemed to be squeezing her heart. Was she really making the right decision?

All she could think about that morning was if she was doing the right thing or not. What if cats found out about her friendship with Moonfur? They would surely call her a traitor.

I am not making the same choice as my sister, I will not betray my clan.

***

That night the same dream played over and over in her head. I'm going crazy she thought. I have to stop this.

She dug her claws into the earth to brace herself for the pain she knew was coming. It happens every time.

Even though she knew it was coming it knocked the breath out of her as a small black cat rammed into her side.

He wore a collar made out of big, menacing teeth. Towering over her he lunged for her throat. In the split second before his teeth meet fur, the ground disappeared and she woke gasping in the warriors den.

Her heart raced. It isn't real she repeated over and over. Finally her heart slowed, she closed her eyes and sleep came.

***

Dovewing's day was pretty boring. So far she had cleaned out the elders den, gone on a border patrol, and went hunting.

It wasn't till sun high when Dovewing realized that she was supposed to be meeting Moonfur tonight. Dovewing dreaded telling Moonfur that they couldn't be friends anymore.

She had thought of all the possible ways to make their friendship work but she had decided that none of them were good enough.

She sighed, all she had wanted was a friend that could stick with her through all the clans troubles. Well now Dovewing had gotten what she had wished for.

There was only one problem, that cat was from a different clan.

***

Nighttime approached and as Dovewing slipped out of the camp through the dirt place tunnel she got the familiar feeling of dread.

Like a stone in her stomach weighing her paws down till she could hardly take another step.

The breeze whistled, and the trees waved back and forth gently. She inhaled deeply getting a whiff of the Windclan border markers. When she arrived she saw that Moonfur was waiting for her.

I can't do this, I can't do this, Dovewing silently wailed. She's been such a good friend. Moonfur turned her head around and leapt to her paws when she saw Dovewing approaching.

"Oh Dovewing!" she cried, a terrible thing has happened!" "What, what is it?" Dovewing said. "My, my mother is dead!" She wailed.

"What?" Dovewing gasped rushing to her friends side. "How did this happen?"

"We were out on a patrol and an eagle flew out of nowhere. We see them so rarely that no one knows what to do. I was intent on my prey and I didn't notice it.

The rabbit I was chasing let out a squeal of alarm. I quickly pounced and killed the rabbit. But not before it was to late, it wasn't until then that I noticed a big shadow rapidly growing bigger.

In no time the eagle had grasped its talons around my shoulders." Moonfur took a breath and showed Dovewing the scratches that ran down her back. "That's horrible!" Dovewing exclaimed!

"All of a sudden out of nowhere my mother leaped into the air and tackled the eagle down. But the eagle was very big and strong, and my mother was no match for the powerful beast."

Dovewing stared horrified at Moonfur, as she went on to tell the story. "The eagle snatched my mother out of the air and before I could even get my paws underneath of myself, the eagle had flown away, carrying my mother to her death."

"I am so sorry Moonfur!" I pressed my head comfortingly against her side.

"Now Ashfoot is dead." "What?!? Ashfoot?" Moonfur nodded. "Ashfoot was my mother, and I am very worried. Their is a cat in my clan who is very ambitious, he is willing to do what ever it takes to become leader of Windclan. And now that Ashfoot is dead, he will be stepping up to deputy!"

"You can't know that for sure." Dovewing reasoned.

"He is very close with Onestar. All the other cats trust him, but I do not. There is another thing Dovewing, this certain cat has a certain grudge against my family.

He will try to kill me, I have been warned by Starclan."