Chapter Six

As the wolves left the Cullens' territory, Belladonna manipulated the Pack's mind link so that only Kamik would hear her. Kamik, the violet-eyed she-wolf said, We need to speak about your imprint. Kamik bowed her head to her Alpha. As you wish, Alpha, she replied. Belladonna thought carefully about how to proceed. I just want you to know that you have my support in whatever you decide to do. However, if he poses a threat to the pack or risks exposing us to humans, I will have no choice but to eliminate him. I sincerely hope that I never have to do such a thing, but I need to know if you will be able to control your wolf should the situation present itself, she cautioned the Omega. Kamik sighed at this. She knew her Alpha was in a difficult position. Their laws stated that a wolf's imprint must not be harmed, but if a Cold One was threatening to expose or hurt the pack, then they were also bound by law to kill the vampire. As no wolf had ever imprinted on a vampire before, there was nothing on how to deal with things should those two laws contradict each other. And all pack members had heard the stories of wolves who had lost their mates and gone completely berserk. A shifter's imprint was their sole reason for living. Many a wolf had either died of heart break or committed suicide because their mate rejected them or died. I understand, Alpha. And while I would like to think that I wouldn't lose control, I'm not entirely certain. I only ask that the pack stops me before I can harm anyone, should I go rogue, Kamik answered. Belladonna nodded. Of course, Kamik. Still, we shall hope it never comes to that, the alpha stated. The Omega hummed her agreement. It was for reasons like this that the Nekoma Pack chose to remain in wolf form. Wolves were simple creatures, ruled by instinct, while humans were far more complex and easily swayed by things such as emotion. While a shifter could never totally rid themselves of the human aspect, their minds were predominantly ruled by the form they were in. So long as they remained in wolf form, the wolf would have the most control. Things like guilt were mostly human emotions, and would therefore have little effect on them. Besides, both females knew that the Pack had to come first. Belladonna had to put her duties as Alpha before her desire to see her friend find happiness. As darkness fell upon the forest, and the Nekoma wolves settled into their new home, an uneasy feeling wedged itself in the pit of Belladonna's stomach. One thing was for sure, the coming battle would bring much sorrow and heartbreak. It remained to be seen who all would be on the receiving end of the pain.