Chapter 8. Love Hate

Start from the beginning

A week went by after that conversation. Brooke avoided me all the time in school. I wasn't complaining though. It was better for me to be alone, consumed with my thoughts of revenge. Besides, she was too sweet a girl to be involved with me. I'd just destroy her and she wouldn't understand anything at all.

I continued with my usual routine. Go to the university in the morning, study in the library in free periods, go back home after classes, and study about hacking and computers. My first step to kidnap the princess involves hacking the server in the palace and checking out for any vulnerability. Through their cameras which were all over the palace, I would know what time the guards change shifts, how they handle their security, and what Talia was doing.

I learned through my adoptive parent's connections that Talia's room was equipped with a camera too. It wasn't open though to maintain her privacy, but it was installed there nonetheless in case of emergency. What emergency was that? I don't freaking care. But I'd use that to stalk her. Haha stranger danger much? I was basically a walking psychopath.

Brooke was far away from my mind, so I was quite surprised when she headed in my direction at school, bringing her laptop and other things with her. I thought she was avoiding me. I was currently sitting on the grass, overlooking the river in our school when she took my hand and hauled me up.

"What?" I asked as she leaned down on the grass, picked up my books and satchel, and handed it to me. "We're going to my room," she said. "But first, we're going to Greggs." Greggs was this pastry house where you could buy anything from a sandwich to pasta. She bought snack for us and forced me to go all the way to her dorm room inside the college.

I looked around as I entered her room. "I didn't know you stay inside the university," I said while glancing around. The place was quite neat. It wasn't as big as my space in the mansion of course, but the design was rather posh. From what I gathered, Brooke was a girly girl.

Everything was done in pink or purple and there were pictures everywhere- on the walls, on her bulletin board, on the huge wooden desk. There were also a couple of beanbags on the floor. The room screamed comfort and luxury. "That's my roomie," she said when I stared into one picture on the board of her and another woman clad in a brown trench coat.

"Why do you stay in the dorms?" I asked.

"Why don't you?" she returned my question with a smirk. "Blimey Iris, stop looking at me like that," she said while placing her laptop on the bed and sitting beside it. "I stay in the dorms because my house is far from here. And you're the only one I know who doesn't do that either. People usually want to stay here."

I gave her a shrug. "It's more comfortable in the mansion. I have my room to myself and people mind their own business. Except for the butler that is," I added with a frown. "You know Brooke, I'm quite curious about you. Are you really English? You have an accent but it's quite different."

"That's because my mom is Australian," she said. "My dad is the Englishman so I kind of picked up both their slang, if you know what I mean. How about you? You have this different accent going on for you as well."

"I do? Well I wasn't born here. I was adopted," I explained.

"Now I get it," she said and patted the space beside her. "Come here. I have something to show you." I stared at her hesitantly before doing what she said. Once again, I smelled her minty aroma. It was nice. Not as great as lavender though which I loved. It reminded me of Talia.

She turned to me. "I don't know if you were serious about kidnapping a princess. Are you? Or are you just pulling my leg?"

I didn't know what possessed me to tell her. "I'm serious Brooke."