When the Winter comes.

Start from the beginning

Freedom is a foreign concept to it. It wants it though. It needs it, craves it.

A sharp prick hit its neck.  It takes in a sharp breath. A minor wave of relaxation hit it.

It doesn't know when, but the man's neck left its grasp. Its whole body seemed to forcefully relax. It didn't want this. Why couldn't it be saved?

The headset was lowered.

The retainer was placed in its mouth.

The switch was flipped.

Agonizing pain.

Ear piercing screams.

It wishes its pain tolerance was lower, it would pass out easier.

There is a moment where he remembers everything, the name that he always remembers, his name, his best friend's.

Then it remembered nothing, like always. It assumes that this has happened before. It is hard to think. The Asset opens its eyes. Small flakes of color dance around his vision, it has a bad headache. Everything burns, especially its arm. It was too hot. It tried to get away from the pain, but was held in place by the chair.  

The pain stopped and it was pulled away from the chair. It was still lightly twitching.

The asset thought it heard talking, but it sounded just like white noise. A hand pushed it forward and it stumbled. The fog in its head was starting to clear up enough to hear its instructions.

“You are being frozen again.”

The Asset nodded. It was led to a freezing room.

When it was frozen, a single word would always echo in its hollow head, maybe a name, a cry for help, a plea. Maybe just nonsense? It always lost the word when it stepped out.

This time when it stepped out, a strangely familiar face greeted him.

“...Bucky?” The man wrapped his arms around it tightly.

“Who the hell is ‘Bucky’?” The Asset asked while trying to get out the hold. “Are you part of Hydra?”

“...Bucky…” The strange man muttered softly. “...What did they do to you…?”

The Asset checked its surroundings. Its keepers, the scientists, people who worked for the organization in general. The Asset slipped its arms out and pushed the man away. It jumped on him and put him in a headlock.

“Bucky. I’m not fighting you.” The man gasped out.

The asset loosened his grip. This man has taken out the whole building, but won’t fight it. Maybe he is not an enemy?  It loosened its grip entirely. The strange man gasped for air.

“Thanks, Buck. Now, come on. We’ve gotta go.”

The asset stared at him. “...Who’s Bucky?”

“Bucky, quit kidding around! We really have to go!” He grabbed its arm.

The Asset pulled it back. “...Don’t touch me it warned.” It didn’t want to hurt this man, he seemed…dare he say, nice?  

“Jesus, Buck, fine. Just come with me.”

The asset didn’t move.

“...That’s an order, Buck.”

Almost as against its will, its legs started moving towards the man.

“There, come on, let’s go.” The man grabbed The Asset’s hand and ran. The Asset could not remember anyone ever being as fast as it or strong, but its memory only went back a few weeks. It had the faintest of a memory of a group of people, maybe this stranger was part of them?