This wasn't the first time you had a near-death experience, it was sad you were getting used to getting scolded by Mama. From falling off trees to almost drowning in the river, it seemed like you had the worst of luck out of all the children here.

"[Y/N], your nose is bleeding."

For some reason, you couldn't find strength in yourself to respond to her words.

As soon as you know it, you were in Mama's arms. She holds you tightly against her chest as she runs out of the forest. The rain seemed to pour harder and the thunder continued to echo in the background.

With the house just over the hill, you feel your eyes become heavier. Don and Gilda stand outside the house and yell at the children inside, they hold the doors open.

The sight of your younger brothers and sisters looking terrified at your filthy body was burned into your mind. They crowded around Mama as she makes her way to the infirmary room. She lays you on the bed and tells all the children to leave the room.

As the other kids file out of the room, a certain trio rushes down the hallway. Norman and Emma stand by the door frame with their faces pale with fear.

Ray pushes the younger kids out of the way and his eyes go wide, "[Y/N], where have you been?"

No response came from you.

"She was almost crushed by a tree," Mama whispers to Ray, making sure the other kids wouldn't hear. "Remember what I said if this keeps on happening?"

You began to stir, your eyes were shut as you were on the verge of falling asleep. Ray shuts the door to secure their privacy.

"There's no way," Ray hisses back at Mama. "I won't let you do that to her!"

"This is the final straw, Ray," Mama warns. "I cannot take any more chances."

He grits his teeth, "Please, it was just an accident...!"

"That's enough," Mama's purple eyes pierced through Ray. "If [Y/N] cannot avoid putting herself in danger and if you keep failing to keep her safe... I have no choice."

Ray's lips quivered, "You can't..." His voice wavers with sadness.

"Two days from now," Mama states. "The date has been set."

Ray's knees seem to become weak and his eyes dart over to your sleeping body on the infirmary bed. "Give her another chance..."

"It's all for a good cause," Mama fires back. "Another stressful weight off my shoulders."

Every inch of Ray's body becomes cold, the colour drains from his face. "You must be joking..."

Mama takes a glance at your sleeping figure, she watches your shallow breathing. Your muddy clothes were staining the white bed.

Ray tugs onto Mama's grey dress, "You can't send her off...!"

There was a pause and Mama stares down at the boy, she sees tears of frustration build up in his eyes. Mama leans down, face to face with Ray.

"It's necessary for all of us." She mutters. "There's nothing stopping me from changing my mind."

•••

Your eyes opened slowly and you realized that you were still laying on the infirmary bed. Using your elbows to push yourself up, you looked out the window and saw that it was bright outside. It was the middle of the day.

Growing confused, you looked around the room to see if Mama was around. You wanted to investigate but you couldn't raise up the strength to come out of your bed.