Chapter 22: 3 Years Underwater

Start from the beginning

Once more I visited the Fairy Queen, I brought her pearl necklaces and unique weapons made of clam shells. My own sword was made from the melted teeth of the shark me and Penelope had killed, the silver of an underwater ship wreck, and clam shell. It was slightly heavy for a normal sword but with my training, I used it skillfully and with great agility.
When I left the enchanted forest, and finally arrived in Frare... I didn't go straight home.

Instead I went to the forest behind the Vermillion estate, loving the sight of the clear moon outside the Mermaid Palace. The same spot I always visited Xavier.

This time it was sadly empty.

I softly sat on the luscious grass that covered the small clearing that was directly under the moonlight. Missing the Leopard deeply... was he dead? Did he leave that horrible master?

I was left wondering for another hour before I was alerted by a twig snapping. I stayed in place and lazily glanced in the direction of the noise. A low growl coming from within the dark forest... and a flash of blue.

"Xavier" I called gently. Slowly; the leopard emerged.

He was nearly three times the size as he was before. Enormous.
His thick glossy fur was even more beautiful, and his bright electric blue eyes were narrowed as he looked at me. He looked confused.

"I'm home" I said softly, opening my arms for him. He seemed hesitant, staring at me and circling around me as if we were strangers. I signed disheartened, "I know it's been many years, but it's still me you know?" I laughed weakly. The leopard paused... before moving swiftly to my side and sniffing me. I was thoroughly examined, sniffed, and then finally, Xavier let me pet and cuddle him.

We stayed like that happily until morning.

"I've got to go home. It's been so long, and in a month, I will be leaving for the Academy" I said sadly, laying on Xavier. He huffed, nuzzling my face. I stood, and was about to bid farewell before Xavier began to walk towards my residence? I brightened up at the thought of the leopard accompanying me. Maybe he did ditch that nasty master.

We walked towards the Estate which hadn't changed a bit since I left. I smiled at this; even my greenhouse remained the same.

Xavier followed.

I snuck into the mansion, before slipping into my room.

Still the same as I left it! I smiled sweetly as I laid in my bed. Tired and happy.

"ROSE!!!!" I heard a cry before I was tackled in my own bed. It was Ricin in his child form, now smaller than me by a lot.

I laughed happily as I held him back, he fake cried and pouted.

"It's a good thing you sent me back here, it was hell keeping this family from starting a war to find you! If not for everyone asking me at least two times a day if you were alive, they would have!" He cried out childishly.

"You've worked hard. Thank you Ricin" I said happily. He stared at me for a moment before smiling back, "Glad you're back" he laughed, turning into a cat and curling up in my lap. Xavier didn't even lift an eye open towards Ricin which made me giggle.

I laid down for a quick nap, cuddling with my two companions once more. Happy and content.
I would be ready for any battle.

When I woke up, it was in the early evening, and it sounded lively outside. I opened my door curiously as Ricin and Xavier followed down the hall and to the ball room.
"Is there a party here tonight?" I asked curiously, I was certainly dressed like a goddess with my pink and white silk robes and sashes.

"I think so... I never really paid attention to those things" Ricin laughed. I sighed in my heart as a maid stopped and dropped all the things she was holding. It was Angie.

"MY LADY!!!!" She cried, flinging herself into my arms. Despite me and her both looking extremely delicate, I easily caught her weight and held her back as she began to sob and happily scold me. It took nearly thirty minutes to calm my maid.

"I've missed you Angie, may I ask if there is a celebration?" I asked curiously, Angie seemed shocked for a moment before nodding.
"Yes, tonight is a social party being held for the young master's birthday" Angie explained.

I FORGOT HIS BIRTHDAY?! I cried in my heart in anguish but calmed myself... this was a good chance to surprise them right? Yes! It was, I quickly remembered I had a beautiful dagger made from clam shells and pearl... I could gift him with that? It was technically a souvenir but I would double it as a birthday present too.

Forgive your terrible sister Vincent... she's become a bit insensitive as time passed.

Angie happily opened the doors to the ball room for me despite the party having already started an hour ago.

Everyone slowly stopped talking and stared as I entered with light steps and a soft smile on my lips. My eyes ignored all else as I finally spotted familiar cotton candy pink hair.

Vincent. He had changed, he was much taller, with broad shoulders and a muscular build despite only being 14 now. His hair was cut short on the sides but slightly longer and more wild on top, it gave a mature image. His deep honey eyes were lovely and sweet, and his face was as handsome as before, but less childish and more refined.
A handsome young man.

I cautiously strolled towards him and my parents who were busy speaking to the King still. Too engrossed to notice the silence around them.

I never broke my pace or face as I neared them nervously.

Finally, I was noticed by the King first who looked dumbstruck.

"Rosalia?" He asked confused, I smiled fully, my eyes sparkling.

"Greetings Your Majesty, Rosalia De Vermillion at your service" I curtsied smoothly despite the change in usual noble Victorian styled clothing. My mother and father looked like they hadn't changed at all, though they did seem a tiny bit tired.
I smiled sweetly.

"Mother, Father, I'm home" I smiled, and they looked frozen. I ignored it and turned towards Vincent who's eyes were wide and slightly watery.

I pulled out the beautiful dagger in its lovely pearl case.
"Happy Birthday Vincent, I've missed you" I said sadly, handing him the dagger. He took it slowly, eyeing it carefully...

Before I was in his arms, and then my parents.

The party ended early, and before I could greet other guests, I was dragged away by my family, interrogated, and then cried on. Scolded, and then grounded. Forever...

When I got ready for bed, in a new soft nightgown my mother bought for me, I was shocked by the soft knock on my door.

Xavier had left before I went to the party and I was sad to sleep alone again.

When I opened the door, it was Vincent, who looked so pitiful and sad.

"Wanna sleep with me tonight?" I asked giggling at how childish he still was. It made my heart full with affection as he nodded seriously. He easily made himself at home in my bed, and I happily fell asleep next to him and Ricin.