Chapter Two

"You must do this one last favor for me my dear friend, Please. I'm old and very sick. I'm afraid it won't be long now. Please tell Wyatt I love him. Tell him everything I did was for him. Please guide him and show him everything he's capable of. He's strong, stronger than anything that exists. He must be shown how great he truly is. Tell him I had no choice... I... had to...save..."

     "Rest now my friend. You are my dearest, wisest friend. I've been by your side even when I believed you were wrong. I won't let you down nor will I fail you. I will do everything in my power to help him. I will help him learn to live again, in a world that has changed so much, a world he knows nothing about. But you must rest now. Don't worry your mind, just rest my friend Alfred."

     Robert pulled the blankets up and turned the lights down before leaving Alfred to sleep. He knew what his friend was asking of him, but it seemed impossible. Robert pulled the large double doors shut. He stood in the hall with his head held down. How will I ever get through this? This was Alfred's doings and he is who should tell Wyatt, not me. I told Alfred for years what he was doing was wrong and now the problem lies at my feet. I must tell Wyatt what Alfred has been up to and pray to God he forgives him, and me, for that matter. Alfred just couldn't let go, and now, he has no choice. It's finally done, it's the end whether my friend wants it to be or not.

     Robert placed one hand on the wooden door,

     "I'll do as I'm asked as one last favor to you and then, I must leave." Robert whispered and turned to walk away.

     "Carter, could you wake Liza? I would like for you girls to go with me to take Mr. Hartford some soup. He's not doing well and I'm afraid he won't be with us much longer. He's been a wonderful neighbor and a great friend to us."

     "Sure, Aunt Mel. I would love to go see him and I'm sure Liza would too."

     I couldn't help but feel overwhelmed with sadness as I went to wake Liza. I know Mr. Hartford is old and his death is inevitable, but why now? He was like a mentor, a friend to me. He understood me and what I had been through. I had lost my mother and Mr. Hartford had suffered the loss of his wife and just one short year later, his son. He always knew what to say when I was feeling doleful.

     "Time doesn't heal all wounds, Carter. We just learn how to live with the pain as time goes on." He would say.

     I enjoyed our talks, not only about our families but about Mr. Hartford himself. I would spend many hours with him on his front porch, drinking sweet tea, and just listening. He told me a story once about a dog he had as a child. One day while riding his bike to school, his dog was hit by a car and her leg had to be amputated. At just 7 years old, Mr. Hartford snuck down to the junk yard that night and brought back parts to build her a new one. "I worked day and night on Betsy's new leg, and I be damned if It didn't fit that old dog perfect." He would start to laugh and then slap his knee. He would then point to me and say, "I knew that day, right then and there, I would help others for the rest of my life."

    Mr. Hartford worked very hard for many years to put himself through college. He soon became known as Dr. Alfred Edmund Hartford III. Now, through his determination and brilliance, he's not only famous, but also a very wealthy man. I know Mr. Hartford never cared about the money, he just wanted to help people. I believe after losing his family, it drove Mr. Hartford to work even harder.

     I can only imagine what other innovations he has hidden down in that lab of his. Although my heart was breaking, I had to smile at the thought.

     I brushed the tears away and fanned my face before entering Liza's room. I opened the bedroom door and sat on Liza's bed.

     "Liza." I said quietly while giving her a nudge. "It's time to get up." I reached across her and turned the lamp on.