Chapter Two

I wake up, debating whether I want the breakfast I can smell wafting into my bedroom, or just stay in bed. When my phone rings, I fumble around trying to locate it. Here it is. "Heya" I say into the phone. "Hey Mel it's Jack, Anna told me to ring you because she's busy" Anna and I have been friends with Jack since forever. Anna is always telling me to go out with him; that we would be perfect, but I only ever think of him as the cute little blonde boy I met in primary school. I mean he is good looking, his blonde hair and blue eyes, but he is my best friend, that could never happen. "Okay, and" I prompt. "And we are going out tonight! There is a party on at someone's place and we are invited!" He yells excitedly into the phone, leaving my ear in pain. "Wow you seem excited! You guys can come over before and then we should go!" I shut my phone of after he agrees and we say our goodbyes.

7 hours later

"I cannot wait this is going to be great." Anna shouts dancing around my room. "Well we could go now if you girls would hurry up!" Jack says, while lying on my bed. "Girls need time, Jack you ought to know that when you get a girlfriend." I laugh. Jack smiles at me sheepishly. "Yeah" he says "Jack if you don't mind me a Mel will need to get changed" "Well hurry up, we'll never get there at this rate" he stands and walks out of the room closing the door behind him. "Mel, do you see the way he looks at you! All your teasing it's not just fun and I can see it, he is better than Mason and you know it!" I begin to change into my party dress, which is strapless and red. Mason, we have more history than people at school know. "I just don't think of him that way." I shrug and start for the door. "You will realize Mel, you will." I pull open the door without answering her. "Ready to go?" I say to Jack. "Wow Mel, you look good." "Thanks," I turn to see if Anna is coming, her eyes tell me so much, and  about how much she wants to tell me I told you so.

Since I walked into the house in full party mode, I was distracted. Why I can't keep my eyes of him, I don't understand. Well I can he is good looking, but why him? When he is a total jackass. "Mel are you ok?" Jack says coming to stand beside the chair my ass is firmly planted on. I nod in reply, “Just a little distracted." I glance at Mason. I notice Jack follow my glance; he sighs and shakes his head as he realizes what I'm looking at. "Well come on let's dance!" He pulls me up and drags me to the outside of the dancing crowd "Come on Mel. You have sat there all night!" He shouts over the noise. I can't help but move to the music, it's like a contagious laugh. It’s impossible to not dance. I open my eyes that I didn't realize I closed, and look around. Without noticing, we are in the center of the crowd. My eyes stop on a familiar pair of green eyes. He is watching me, and for once, the tables have turned. I move closer to Jack and wrap my arms around his shoulders. He seems surprised but he places his hands on my hips and we sway to the music. I can feel him watching, and it feels good to be the one watched. I pull back a little so I can look Jack in the eyes, could this really work, Jack and me. He leans in and I inch forward, until our lips meet and it may be the music or maybe it’s our mood but it wasn't a delicate kiss, it was as if we were afraid the other was going to disappear. As we pulled back, I heard Anna shout something inappropriate across the room, well she would, hadn't she gotten what she wanted? Had I? The moment I saw Mason, his mouth hanging open I knew yes I wanted this. The next thing I knew Jack was pulling me in to dance again, but before I turned fully, I saw Mason storm off, obviously not wanting to watch more.