Chapter Ten

Evangeline's parents, who I had only met in a handful of times before, were not at all surprised with my sudden invasion of their home. They both expressed their horror when Evangeline explained the situation, and Mr. Carter promised he would help me however he could.

Though I wasn't sure what kind of help he could give me, I appreciated the offer all the same. We didn't speak of the situation over dinner, though I'm sure Evangeline pulled Alfred Wilson aside to tell him all when he arrived.

After a night of sleeplessness, I still didn't know what I was going to do. Certainly, the Carters were kind to allow me to stay with them but it wasn't a permanent solution. I had no way of discovering if I had any extended family who would be willing to take me in. There seemed only one thing left.

I would have to take lodgings.

It was perfectly acceptable for a young lady, wasn't it? After all, young women traveled to London for employment all the time. They had to sleep somewhere if they weren't provided lodgings in a large house or store.

Off course, my first step would be a visit to Mr. Douglas. My mother and her husband would not get a penny more of my inheritance. I even intended on purchasing several copies of The Strand, so that I could share it with anyone who was skeptical or judgemental of my decision.

Though I would ask Mr. Douglas, I suspected Mr. Holmes was correct in the story. There would be no repercussions for my stepfather's actions.

Evangeline volunteered to accompany me, but I chose to go alone. She tried to insist it was the least a friend would do. After all, she had her own life and I certainly didn't want to just take over with my own affairs.

The day was gray and gloomy when I stepped outside. I shivered as a cold wind blew. Perhaps it was my bleak mood that affected my view of the day's weather. I almost hailed a passing hansom cab but decided a walk would be just the thing to dispel some of my nervous energy.

Mr. Douglas was surprised to see me. However, once I explained why I had come, he was happy to clear his schedule for me. He listened without judgment as I detailed everything that had happened in the last two years and then asked questions to clarify the situation.

It took a good two hours, and I produced a copy of the Strand for him to have. He agreed that my mother and James had forfeited any right to my inheritance with their actions. When I asked if there were any legal action to be taken, Mr. Douglas promised he would investigate but warned he didn't think it likely. He also advised me to consider making a will to protect my assets in case anything happened.

"I do not wish for you to be taken advantage of, my dear Miss Sutherland," he said kindly. "And I am appalled I have no protected you as much as I ought to have."

I wish I could say I felt better when I left, but I didn't. The weight of the world still remained on my shoulders. There was no clear course in front of me. Where could I go?

Of course, I still had my work to occupy myself. In fact, there was a stack of documents in need of being typed up.

All of a sudden, I felt a pair of hands on my back and then I was stumbling into the street. Gasping, I tried to keep myself from falling onto my face. There was a shout, and then I heard the frantic whinny of a horse.

A hand grabbed my arm and wanked me back. A hansom cab rushed passed, the driver shouting obscenities at me. How close I had been to being harmed, perhaps losing my life! There were other voices asking questions and exclaiming over what had happened. "What were you thinking?" a man asked from behind me.

Did he think I had stepped into the street on purpose? Before I turned around, I took a deep breath. "Thank you for your assistance," I said as I faced the small crowd that had fathered. "I have never been pushed into the street before, so I am grateful you were on hand to help me."