Chapter 17: Trading

Avern

"I'm sorry for not being able to do much," Jess tells us. "I can fix knife wounds any day, but not an infection that is this far set in. My only suggestion is to keep the wound clean to avoid blood poisoning." Jess frowns at her lack of knowledge. "Whatever sickness Soren has caught is foreign to me and the rate that it's spread at is astounding."

She joins Martha at the door after cleaning Soren's wound as best she can. Martha sighs and sits down at the chair beside the sick boy. "You two should get some shut-eye. If you're trading that armor in return for someone's life, I believe you should be well-rested for that deal," she advised. "I have looked after Soren this long, and I won't stop now." 

Jess nods her head. "I'll remain here too. Someone with medical knowledge should be on hand to help break Soren's fever," she said with a concerned smile directed at Gwen.

"Agreed," Martha said. She glances at the bed then back up at us. "You are welcome to any of the food the Tavern has to offer, or you could make something in our kitchen if you want to. It's the least I can do," she tells the group.

"I'm not too hungry right now, but thanks for the offer." Gwendolyn leans against the wall, her eyes glazed over and out of focus ever since Soren fell asleep again. She absentmindedly pulls at her empty pockets. "Is there any way we could borrow some coin for our carriage ride to the Slate?" she asks.

Martha smiles and squeezes Gwen's arm. "My dear, you're always welcome to take as much as you need from me. After all, you are the one that brought me gold whenever Jared and I were going through a tough time. In any case, it's clear you need it more than I do right now." Martha digs around at a small purse she's wearing around her waist. She pulls the silver clasp of a maroon bag open and pours out half of the contents in her palm. She counts out enough money for a ride then hands the sum over to Gwen. "If you need anything else, you know where I am."

Gwen faces the two women. "Thank you for looking after my brother." She wipes at her eyes. "I am forever in your debt," she admits. Gwendolyn glances at her brother's arm in concern and looks at Jess to see if she has any more to say on his condition. When she does not reply, she lets out a sigh. "We should rest up, as Martha said." She sighs. "Then when it's time, Avern and I will head out to the Slate to retrieve Raul."

I froze. "Together? This is my problem, Gwendolyn. There's no reason for you to endanger yourself again. I can handle this," I insisted.

She frowned. "I need to get out and find the one man that might be able to save my brother, Avern." Her voice is unwavering. "If anyone can help him, it's Raul. I'm sure he'll know what this illness is and then fix my brother." 

Without another word, Gwen walks out of the room and to a spare bedroom. Martha watches her go, her eyes filled with concern and pity. It's clear that whatever Soren is suffering from might not be curable. With the decaying flesh on his arm, it might even have to be amputated before the infection spreads to other parts of his body. 

"Well, the two rooms on the right are occupied by me and my son, but all the others are fair game." Martha stood up from the stool she sat at and waved. "I have to help Jared at the bar now before a customer starts a ruckus with only him to clean it up. Jessamine, would you mind caring for Soren for awhile?"

She nods her head. "I'll watch him so you can get back to work."

Martha smiled. "Thank you, dear."

I nod to Jess as I leave behind Martha, my eyes brushing across the nasty wound the Apothecary just covered up. Soren's condition is far worse than I could have imagined. If Raul doesn't know how to fix this strange illness, then I'm not sure there is anyone else that could save the boy.