Chapter Two: Family Photo

*Back to the present where the fire station was rebuilt and they had two new firefighters*

Sam's point of view:

I arrived at the fire station where I met all of my teammates.

"Good morning, Sam," they all greeted me at the same time.

"Good morning, everyone," I replied as I went to my locker to get the new book I was reading: Ten Reasons Why.

"Attention!" Steele shouted and I dropped my book and ran to him to see what he wants.

"Yes sir, what is it?" I asked when I stopped running from the locker room and stood next to Ellie.

"I have planned an activity for us today," Steele began, "we all have to choose one of our family portraits and show it to the whole team."

Oh dear, I have been an orphan all my life and had no family at all. Maybe I could just say that my team is my family? Or maybe I should ask if there is something else we could use instead of a portrait?

"Sir," I began, "if possible, can we use something else to represent our family?"

Steele gave me a strange look as he thought it over for a moment.

"Yes Sam," Steele agreed, "you all have until tomorrow to present your family portrait or an object that represents your family."

"Yes sir!" We all exclaimed as we went back to do our own things and to talk about the assignment.

After a few minutes, Penny ran up to me and asked "So, what are you going to show to represent your family, Sam?"

I froze in place as I looked at Penny. How am I supposed to explain to her that I was an orphan and never had a real family? Maybe I shouldn't.

"Oh, I don't know yet" I replied, "Maybe something that my family and I used to do."

"That's great, Sam!" Penny smiled. "I can't wait to see what you show for

your presentation."

Penny walked off and I sighed with relief and continued to read my book.

That afternoon, while I was talking with Penny, Steele called me to his office. I went and sat down on a chair.

"Sam," Steele asked, "why did you ask if the team could use something else instead of a portrait?"

Oh my gosh, I didn't except that question to be asked.

"Because," I started, "I don't have a family portrait."

I hope he'll that as an answer.

"Really? Why?" Steele asked.

Oh no. What am I going to tell him? I think it's time to tell him my secret.

Penny's point of view:

I was talking with Sam when Station Officer Steele came in and wanted to talk to Sam.

"Talk to you later, Penny," Sam told me.

"Yeah," I replied, "talk to you later."

I wonder what Steele wanted him for.
I walked to my locker pretending that I needed something. Once they were inside, I went to the door and put my ear on it. They were about Sam's question this morning. They were whispering so I couldn't hear what they were actually saying. But the words I caught was "dream", "family", and "dead".
I assume that Sam's talking about his own family when he was a child. Maybe Sam was an orphan because his parents died. That must be it. I can't be so sure and I certainly can't ask Sam to tell me.

"Alright Sam," Station Officer Steele said, "you can go."

I was scared and ran away to my locker, accidently grabbed Sam's book, pretending that I was reading. I already have read Thirteen Reasons Why, but whatever.

Sam's point of view:

I walked out of the office and saw Penny reading my book. Ah ha! I can scare her now! I tiptoed to her ear and whispered, "Boo!"

Penny screamed and I grabbed her.

"You alright?" I asked.

"Oh Sam!" she exclaimed. "You scared me!"

"Sorry," I shrugged, "just wanted to have some fun scaring you."

Penny smilied and punched my jaw.

"Ow!" I yelled as I let her go.

"That's what you get for scaring me!" she laughed.

I chuckled, "Well, you're a feisty one."

She punched me again but in the shoulder.

We laughed and talked about the book Thirteen Reasons Why.