Chapter One: Sam's Childhood

Start from the beginning

His eyes were filled with tears as he thought.

Then he felt a tap on his shoulder.

Charlie gave him a tissue and Sam wiped his tears away.

"Thanks, Charlie" he smiled, "I'll take good care of you. I promise."

Then Sam hugged Charlie and they both fell asleep soundly in their beds.

Sam woke up the next morning wondering what time it was. There was no clock in the room, so he walked out of the door, but as he did it, he grabbed Lincoln the lion and headed downstairs where he met Lynda in the hallway. Lynda was sitting on a suitcase while holding her jacket close to her chest. Sam, wanting to question her, passed by and Lynda exclaimed, "Sam!"

Sam turned around and walked over.

"Yeah Lynda?" Sam asked as he sat next to her.

"I should have told you something earlier," Lynda began, "I'm leaving the orphanage and going to a new family."

She sobbed and Sam patted her back.

"The problem is that I'm scared!" Lynda cried.

Sam put his hand over her mouth.

"Shhh," he shushed, "don't scream or you'll wake up the others."

Lynda calmed down and continued, "I'm scared of leaving you and Charlie."

"Why are you scared of that?" Sam asked being very confused. "We just met yesterday."

"Because you're the first friend I've ever had in my entire life," she replied, "I'm your first friend in this orphanage. If I leave you, then you won't have any more friends."

Sam said, "I'll always have my brother, Charlie, with me."

"But I still don't wanna leave," Lynda sighed, "you are not like other kids."

"I'm not?" Sam asked.

"No," Lynda replied, "when we were playing emergencies together, I had a feeling that we'll help save other lives and be heroes of the world...together."

"Really?" Sam asked. "Well, I don't even plan to be a hero at all."

"I understand," Lynda replied, "you don't have to do big things to be a hero. You can do little things too, even if you don't plan it that way."

"Really?" Sam replied. "I never knew that."

"My mother once told me before she..." Lynda began to tear up.

"Before she left you?" Sam inquired.

Lynda whimpered, "No. Before she died."

"Oh," Sam whispered, "I'm sorry."

There was a silent pause. Then Sam looked at Lincoln and smiled. He put Lincoln in Lynda's lap and Lynda was confused.

"Sam?" Lynda asked. "What are you doing?"

"Since you'll miss me," Sam began, "You can have my lion, Lincoln, to remember me."

Lynda wiped her tears and said, "Thank you."

She reached for her skirt pocket and pulled out a piece of paper. Lynda smiled as she handed the paper to Sam's hand. Sam opened the piece of paper and smiled. It was a picture of Sam and Lynda standing on top of the world, wearing a red cape around their neck and had a huge smile on their faces.

Sam hugged Lynda and Lynda hugged Sam. Then footsteps were heard.

"O-oh," Lynda said and sprang up to her feet and pulled Sam up.

"Sam you need to go back to your room," Lynda whispered.

"What? Why?" Sam inquired as he was being pushed towards his room.

"Because if Mrs. Smith finds you, you'll be in big trouble," Lynda explained, "go to your room!"

Sam ran to his room and shut the door, quietly.

Mrs. Smith found Lynda and said, "Lynda, are you ready to meet your family? The Crosswires?"

"Yes, ma'am," Lynda quietly replied as they walked through the hallway.

Sam listened to Mrs. Smith's questions. The Crosswires? Sam thought as he wrote it down on his diary cover.

Sam looked at the picture and smiled. "I think I know what I want to be now," he said to himself, "a paramedic."